No Silencer...

RobJ

Wrench Pro
Car
Alfa Giulietta 1.4T
So I'm getting a new exhaust put it in but I wanted a more meaty sound and the company im getting my exhaust system from offer a exhaust with no silencer.
now I know there is no legal decibel limit in the UK but I can't get a clear cut answer as to whether having no silencer is illegal?
I'm not removing my silencer just thinking about not having one built in with the new one.

anyone know?

There is a limit, I think. It's quite high though. One thing you have to bear in mind though is drone. Also, do you plan on tracking your car? Some tracks won't allow you to race if your exhaust is over 100db I believe.

Not planning to put it on the track too often more of a one off thing.
Just wasn't sure if I could get away with no silencer on the road?

May I suggest IF you proceed that it is fabricated with a bolted joint where the muffler would normally be so one can be fitted later for whatever reason.

May I suggest IF you proceed that it is fabricated with a bolted joint where the muffler would normally be so one can be fitted later for whatever reason.
Good suggestion^^^
I had a straight through titanium system on my Skyline and the sound was awesome ........... for about 10mins then after not being able to hold any sort of conversation and feeling ill from the drone pulsating through the cabin I changed to a Nismos system which still sounded awesome but was much more every day user friendly

The track officials dealing with noise are well versed with regard to decibels. They have to be in order to comply with their track's legal requirement to observe a max dB.

It is illegal to fit an exhaust that makes the car noisier than it would be if fitted with the manufacturers system. It is up to you to decide whether the risk is worth it.

Neighbours will soon get fed up and report you. With no silencer fitted it would be a slam dunk conviction if the car was inspected.

May I suggest that you fit a straight through repackable box? You can then leave the packing out until you are fed up with the noise or the neighbours start issuing death threats :)

As long as the modifications are declared, I never thought you would have a problem?

Typically, turbos tend to muffle the exhaust note somewhat, so as long as the exhaust is well made, you will be fine.

As long as the modifications are declared, I never thought you would have a problem?

Typically, turbos tend to muffle the exhaust note somewhat, so as long as the exhaust is well made, you will be fine.

Declaring modifications keeps your insurance valid, but doesn't necessarily mean that the car complies with the construction and use regulations.

With my pedant hat on, if the car is noisier than standard then you are, technically, breaking the law and risking a fine or even confiscation.

In its previous incarnation, 30 odd years ago, my Elan had a Y junction fitted with a butterfly valve operated from the dash. This allowed me to run unrestricted or restricted at the pull of a lever :)

That works for me :) I think removing the box is asking for trouble. Repackable box, butterflies or Y are the ways to go.

Not many track officials or police officers will understand decibels.

There is a track called Lakeside that was built way out in the sticks and eventually was built all around and the home owners had it closed
.It was a historic racetrack and was reopened a few years ago with a 90 db noise restriction limit and there is a driver training complex with the same restrictions and both have DB Meters.

FWIW my car is 89DB with a Hot Dog mid pipe resonator and a large oval rear muffler in my 3 inch straight thru system.

Thanks for all the advice on this I think for legality I may as well just get the silencer built it so I don't have to worry when driving around town.

Hi. Just a question, and I'm not being argumentative, it is a genuine question.

There seems to be a massive increase in noisy exhausts these days, seemingly just for sake of noise.

I don't necessarily mind noise if it is a good one, where the exhaust just amplifies the already good sound of the engine, a nice V8, straight six, or even a flat boxer. I've had performance exhausts on some of the V6s I've owned, and it just added to the nice burble of the V.

But just a louder drone, I don't get it? Why do people do it?

the 2 reasons why I asked this question:
1) the exhaust without the silencers is a fair bit cheaper,
2) the noise sounds slightly more sporty

Other than that I don't care for a stupidly loud exhaust just want to show of the sporty car.

Common practice with small bike owners to remove baffles so you can hear them for miles :-(

Big boy's version of fixing a playing card to your bike when you were a kid. Most people grow out of this but some, unfortunately, don't.

All fart and no sh1t.

What needs to be realised is that the only people impressed are the young and car nuts that know didly squat about cars.

the 2 reasons why I asked this question:
1) the exhaust without the silencers is a fair bit cheaper,
2) the noise sounds slightly more sporty

Other than that I don't care for a stupidly loud exhaust just want to show of the sporty car.

Fair play - like I said I wasn't having a go, just wondering.

I think it's cos my first memories of cars are of my Dad's 3.5 V8 Rover P6, so I think it's gone into my subconscious that that's what cars should sound like. (;->

I took out a mid section silencer and replaced the back box with something more sporty sounding in my Astra, it worked quite well but fuel economy was shot.

here in the USA a dodge neon was factory built without a silencer, being a turbo car the combination of turbo + the cat converter both act like silencers, sounded good but still legal

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back