Newbie Needs Help

CoachT

Car
Hyundai Tucson
Hello everyone!

Here is my situation: Stupidly bought a car about 18 months ago that has a payment of about $540 a month. I want to trade it in for a new/used model that will lower my monthly payments and get into modding.

I was leaning towards a Mustang as I hear they are good cars to mod. What I was wondering is what the hell am I supposed to look for? I am so new to this but have been reading up and excited about my new journey.

What mileage is too much? Can you mod to increase life of the car? etc. I basically want a car that is stylish that can go decently fast. Not looking for anything crazy. Thanks so much!

Hi and welcome to TC forums.
Car's are very personal, especially when modifying them, so a particular brand/model I like will be different to what you like and the next person etc. The tuning guide in the articles section may point you in the right direction http://www.torquecars.com/tuning
Japanese car's are highly tunable, many many parts and routes you can go down. I like Nissan but there's Honda and Toyota that have a big racing heritage and following. Not really up on US models but obviously the Mustang is a big name along with Chevrolet and there LS engined car's.
I tend to have older 1980'90s car's as that's my era you could say and mileage has never put me off. Service history is important and known problem areas addressed is important to me. For example on a 944 sills rot and belts/water pump need changing every 4 years regardless of how little mileage they may of done. If this hasn't been done walk away. On the other hand my 944 was on 190000 miles and still pulling like a train when I sold it so condition is the most important factor for me.

Thank you very much for the advice!

I read through the tuning briefly and will definitely read more in depth once I purchase the car!

My next question is this:
Should I get a manual or is a CVT alright? I don't drive a manual but have a best friend that could teach me pretty easily. I am thinking about going for the new '15 Honda Civic Coupe. It is in my price range.

What do you think?

So here are the options I am looking at right now:

1. 2013 Mazda3 48k miles. Clean history. 13k price.
2. 2012 Honda Civic Coupe LX. Clean history. 14k price.
3. 2013 Mazda3 43k miles. Clean history. 14k price.
4. 2012 Honda Civic Sedan LX. Clean. 14k price.
5. 2010 Ford Mustang. 15k price.

What do you guys think? All cars look good and feel good just can't decide. Remember I am mainly doing for aesthetic purposes but would eventually want to add a little HP in the mix later on as well.

The Honda and Mazda will be the best built and reliable I would of thought. Civic coupe best looking and most tuning/styling options. Anything other than a V8 Mustang is criminal isn't it but if you're looking at a V8 one than its hard to ignore that intoxicating soundtrack. You'll pay in fuel economy though

Regards your question on gearbox. Most of us here in UK drive manuals. Only the large executive barges like Mercedes and BMW have autos. Honda Civic autos are only bought by OAPs here. I've only driven a Ford CVT box before and it was the worst box I've ever used. Slow, noisy and no feel to the driving experience at all. Manual boxes are best option we feel over here for driver involvement.

Unless you are totally unco (rdinated) with zero feel for what you are doing then learning to drive "stick"as you say over there then you should be fine with some practice and will love being more involved with driving:)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back