Newbie - best way to start?

5doorfish

Car
318I
Hello,
Newbie here and want to start drifting.
I'm a student so my budget isn't extensive.
just need some advice...
I'm living in London, Harrow
anyone got any ideas where the nearest place to start practicing? (santa pod?)
also looking at an E36 to purchase to get me started, this recommended?
how easy is it to weld the diff, cut the springs and get a bucket seat?

thanks in advice

Drifting is not what I recommend for people with tight budgets as it is extremely hard on the machinery and tyres.
Cut springs is stupid and dangerous.
Welded diffs are illegal in Oz for road cars .
KAAZ 2 way LSD is the way to go.
Nissan Silvia or skyline is the weapon of choice over here due to heaps of interchangeability of parts and aftermarket suspension bits.
The RB and 2jz seem to be the best motors.
Originally drift cars were set up so they would slide easily but now they are set up more like a track car for more grip and corner speed.
My mate who is a very good drifter can and does wear out a pair of new RSR's in a 15 minute session.
There are no Beamers drifting over here.
Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear.

nissan 180sx is my fav car for drifting with better suspension and light mods to the sr20de engine can take a variety of mods cheaply and effectively.

if your heart is set on a beamer, I hear the 328i is a good place to start for a drift car. I have no experience or knowledge to help you with, but a lot of friends have these as drift cars. there are quite a few on ebay which people have started a project for drifting on. but as said above, it is not cheap, and being a student im guessing your budget is already stretched.

Hello,
Newbie here and want to start drifting.
I'm a student so my budget isn't extensive.
just need some advice...
I'm living in London, Harrow
anyone got any ideas where the nearest place to start practicing? (santa pod?)
also looking at an E36 to purchase to get me started, this recommended?
how easy is it to weld the diff, cut the springs and get a bucket seat?

thanks in advice

Tight budget? Start with go-karts, inexpensive to build and maintain.Yet very exciting to race sitting only 1" off the ground. And yes they are quick nearing 150+mph. Not as safe as an enclosed ride, but extremely exhilarating to drive! When your pocket book grows with throw away dollars, then move up in the classes to the 200mph rides! Our track record at Road America(4.2 mile course) is only 145.5 mph for the fastest lap time ever. While at R/A in 2011 I witnessed a Viper ACR trap at 173.6 mph on the Grandstand 1 mile straight and almost lost it trying to slow down for a sweeping right while trying to set that record and prove his kahoona's! So, start reasonable until you have the thousands upon thousands of dollars to play until your hearts content.