Newbie alert

Bean09

Car
getz 1.6 SX
Hi and thanks in advance for any helpful information or suggestions...

Hubby purchased an 09 Getz SX 1.6 4 speed December last year as my daily to/from work (at that stage he was still able to drive so 2 vehicles were necessary)...due to the extent of his back injuries and medications he can no longer drive so he sold his beloved GU Patrol....

Anyhow around 6 months ago we did a catback conversion on the Getz - 2 inch (just wanted a nice rumble not tinny rattle) and 2 months ago I changed the wheels from stock 14's 175/65 to 15's 185/55....

Have had major and minor services done however she's still flat as on take off and I may as well get out and push her up any kind of ascent - would updating the chip help alongside a pod make any difference? Hubby thought possibly adding extractors may help but I'm not sure as most people would just assume it's a POS why bother but I actually like my Bean....

Welcome Bean
firstly is it petrol or diesal ?
secondaly is it auto or manual?
there are people on here that know a hello of lot more then i do however wha they have tought me is the N/A ( non turbo) engines such as my own are very hard to get large amount of power out do you know what the BHP figure is at the moment

hello bean

is this your car ???
Hyundai Getz 1.6 Sport

if it is probably the next best thing is look at possible the gearbox because for the size of car you have reasonable power (no far of my own to be honest) as said earlier with n/a engine it takes alot to get power not far short of going crazy with the engine with the exhaust add a air filter and a re-map you will get a little bit more but not a lot personally i would look at the gearbox next

is it serviced regularly etc??

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi - yup she's been logbooked every 5000 km - I'm the 2nd owner.....only purchased in December 2013 so I've had her not quite 12 months....I suppose if I were really smart I'd check the manual for the general specs as I can't find anything online (typical female lol)....I was wondering this morning whether the transmission may be the issue as she has that definitive flat spot particularly on any type of incline...

:phaha no coment it would be a good idea to look at the gearbox next because u can have all sorts of fun upgrading them lol have you tried using the manual shift etc

Yeah although she seems to not like 2nd too much (almost as if she's losing compression) would be a lot easier if she were manual but alas 4spd auto....taking the overdrive off doesn't seem to improve output either

has the oil ever been changed in the box sometime sthat can help i think maybe get the enginge and gearbox mapped as they normall talk to each other that may well make a massive im prov ment however does the car do anything funny like use fluids ?

Nope she's really good like that - no leaks....I think honestly I'm expecting too much from her as my last daily was a BMW 318i E46 1.9 4spd auto with sports shift....just really peeves me that she looks great cosmetically but no balls lol....air filter replaced 2 days ago on major service....one engine mount was showing signs of wear so was replaced other than that it was fairly standard service....

okay i would def look at a remap then that should help at least a little bit because exhaust and airfilter can make flat spots but the remap should rectify that

May I as the site admin wish you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars. It is really nice to meet you and I hope you'll be spending some time with us over the months to come.

You'll find us one of the friendliest and most helpful car tuning forums around.

Do feel free to chip in on our other topics and discussions, we are all here to share our passion for cars. Being friendly and helpful is a forum rule here and I'm sure you'll fit in just fine.

Hello it's great to meet you. You'll love the forums and site, I spend loads of time on here and it gets quite addictive.

Well just to update and missed a vital part in the intro...Bean struggles to get 360 out of full tank....mind u after major service last week and replacing air filter flushed injectors etc I'm now sitting on around 230 k I think on 1/2 tank (45 L capacity...I'm running out of ideas aside from granny driving at 50k/h....freakn nitemare she is

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back