Newbie advice needed

Freezer104

Car
Passat est 2011
Hi Guys just joined am in Deal Kent have a Passat 2 liter tdi with dsg box which I just love just looking to improve mpg,suggestions for best way, appreciated
Thanks

Hi and welcome to the TC forum.
For improved mpg there are lots of things you can do in fact we recently had a whole thread discussion on the subject. A remap will give you a big change, you can choose an economy map but a performance one will also give you a gain. Did you know you can also get the DSG gearbox remapped for smoother quicker changes. Other things you can do are correct tyre pressures, taking out excess weight and what I've found most beneficial is changing driving style. I have the 2ltr Tdi170 and regularly achieve 55 - 60mpg.

Greetings Freezer104 and welcome to our TorqueCars forum :)

You only live up the road to our illustrious leader "Obi Waynne Kenobi" TC Jedi Master.
I look forward to reading all about the updates on you're chariot |B

Hi and welcome to the TC forum.
For improved mpg there are lots of things you can do in fact we recently had a whole thread discussion on the subject. A remap will give you a big change, you can choose an economy map but a performance one will also give you a gain. Did you know you can also get the DSG gearbox remapped for smoother quicker changes. Other things you can do are correct tyre pressures, taking out excess weight and what I've found most beneficial is changing driving style. I have the 2ltr Tdi170 and regularly achieve 55 - 60mpg.
Thanks Andy,for kind reply,did not know about dsg remap it's a beautiful box and find it difficult to believe it can be improved,will certainly look into your other suggestions,who is the guru for dsg remapping,
All the best John

Greetings Freezer104 and welcome to our TorqueCars forum :)

You only live up the road to our illustrious leader "Obi Waynne Kenobi" TC Jedi Master.
I look forward to reading all about the updates on you're chariot |B
Wow did not know that,hope our roads cross soon,thanks for taking time to reply
John

Without sounding cocky...I would start cheap and then go on to remaps etc etc. Remaps are around 200. 200 buys a lot of diesel!!!
I always keep my tyre pressures as high as possible within reason. Look at the max psi, try running that psi (inflate when tyres are cold, i.e. not been driven for hours, in the morning)
before everyone jumps down my throat, try it slowly first, see what you think. And dial it back from there using a digital tyre pressure gauge . Braking, cornering, and traction and ride comfort are all affected, and in particular, wet weather, cornering, stopping and traction, which can be dangerous if not initiated previously.
This is the cheapest way of ensuring you get the most mpg off the bat.
Secondly, ditch all the passengers, bits of garb you carry about, leaving nothing but essentials.
Run a quarter to half tank of fuel, as this also keeps weight down to a minimum.
Service the car, good oil, filters, and injector cleaner really work, use injector cleaner after you replace the fuel filter.
Cataclean is a great product that works very well in my experience, to get the cat de coked and more important the oxygen sensor.
Wheel alignment will give a few extra mpg when set up correctly.
Service the brakes !!! Binding brakes are no good for mpg.
Energy efficient tyres are good, so check the ratings before you buy.
Take off roof racks/bike racks etc for less drag.
Shop around for fuel, within reason. Over a year the pennies mount up to gold shiny ones.
Think this should help!

Without sounding cocky...I would start cheap and then go on to remaps etc etc. Remaps are around 200. 200 buys a lot of diesel!!!
I always keep my tyre pressures as high as possible within reason. Look at the max psi, try running that psi (inflate when tyres are cold, i.e. not been driven for hours, in the morning)
before everyone jumps down my throat, try it slowly first, see what you think. And dial it back from there using a digital tyre pressure gauge . Braking, cornering, and traction and ride comfort are all affected, and in particular, wet weather, cornering, stopping and traction, which can be dangerous if not initiated previously.
This is the cheapest way of ensuring you get the most mpg off the bat.
Secondly, ditch all the passengers, bits of garb you carry about, leaving nothing but essentials.
Run a quarter to half tank of fuel, as this also keeps weight down to a minimum.
Service the car, good oil, filters, and injector cleaner really work, use injector cleaner after you replace the fuel filter.
Cataclean is a great product that works very well in my experience, to get the cat de coked and more important the oxygen sensor.
Wheel alignment will give a few extra mpg when set up correctly.
Service the brakes !!! Binding brakes are no good for mpg.
Energy efficient tyres are good, so check the ratings before you buy.
Take off roof racks/bike racks etc for less drag.
Shop around for fuel, within reason. Over a year the pennies mount up to gold shiny ones.
Think this should help!
Thanks very much,will try all this sound advice,before trying remap as you say that's a lot of Diesel
Regards John

The guy that said driving style too is quite correct. All things add up (or subtract in your case)
Do all this and see what happens. Keep your revs down and short shift, light throttle only, try not to brake too much within reason. Oh btw, all I mentioned also adds performance when you want it, and I like running high tyre pressures, I am used to it now. It makes the car handle/turn in sharper, and it also makes your tyres last longer reducing scrub! I am running 225/45/17.

The guy that said driving style too is quite correct. All things add up (or subtract in your case)
Do all this and see what happens. Keep your revs down and short shift, light throttle only, try not to brake too much within reason. Oh btw, all I mentioned also adds performance when you want it, and I like running high tyre pressures, I am used to it now. It makes the car handle/turn in sharper, and it also makes your tyres last longer reducing scrub! I am running 225/45/17.
Thanks again for reply,sorry to be so dim but I do not understand tyre figures!
John

that is my tyre width and profile, rim size. If you look at your tyres, it will state somewhere what dimensions they are. I run 40psi all round with no problems at all.

Hello and a warm welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin! Really nice to have you along.

That's my town Deal Kent! A special welcome and hello from me.

Run decent fuel, Shell works really well on these engines, Vpower will last longer and give you more MPG as well so don't worry about the extra cost - you just have to drive to Whitfield to fill up which is the only downside. BG244 also cleans out the engine and injectors nicely and will make more economy on an older engine with a higher mileage.

A remap is your best bet for better MPG. http://www.torquecars.com/forums/threads/ecu-remapping-software.7945/

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Last edited:
Hello and a warm welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin! Really nice to have you along.

That's my town Deal Kent! A special welcome and hello from me.

Run decent fuel, Shell works really well on these engines, Vpower will last longer and give you more MPG as well so don't worry about the extra cost - you just have to drive to Whitfield to fill up which is the only downside. BG244 also cleans out the engine and injectors nicely and will make more economy on an older engine with a higher mileage.

A remap is your best bet for better MPG.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.
Thanks Waynne for a very friendly forum sure I will enjoy reading all the comments am in Kingsdown so Whitfield not too far for me
Regards John

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back