New tyres front or rear ?

pgarner

TC ModFather
Car
Octy smoke machine
OK whats your views ?

me personally i always put new tyres on the front if im getting 2. being based on the fact that the fronts having to deal with the power and the steering.

now after doing some reading into it most say the new tyres should be fitted to the rear. main reason being that the rear then has more grip in the corner and prevents oversteer.

whats your views and where do you put new tyres if your only getting 2?

I've given in and gone for new to the rear fitting. Unfortunately this leaves you with an understeery FWD car so just swap em around until all four are knackered then replace the lot, hopefully getting a discount for buying 4 at once.

It depends how worn the rears are. If the rears are very worn then I'll stick the rears on the front and finish them off quickly. Otherwise if there is a fair bit of tread on the rears I'll put the new tyres on the front otherwise the new ones go on the rear as it is safer for the reasons already said.

I try to keep the better tread on the fronts, they are always changed at 3mm though so it shouldn't make much difference anyway.

im gonna have to say go with the front two tires because they have to deal with the torque and steering but if you can i would just wait until all 4 ware out and buy 4 new tires cuz u will prob. end up getting a discount

Bought two tyres and rims, and front struts last week after I drove into a huge pothole, I have installed both new tyres in the front,my rear tyres have got just 10 K kms on them. I find that there is a definite improvement in handling due to perhaps, the combination of new wheels and struts, rather than the tyres alone.

I get my Tyres at trade so I tend to buy 4 at a time.

But in the past I tended to put the new ones on the back and the old ones on the front untill they wore down then buy another two new ones for the rear again and swap them.

But it all depends as know a guy with a 2009 Jag and being RWD his back tyres are always wearing down first

I think your supposed to rotate tyres to even out the wear, but mine are directional so I've never bothered

My rears tyres have lasted 18 months with little wear, however I'm on my third pair of front tyres.
It's probably best to move the rear tires to the front because the rubber allegedly 'goes off' for want of a better term, due to sunlight & weathering.

I do recall someone telling me many moons ago that, regardless of wear you should change your tires every twelve months or so. I suspect though tyre technology has improved a lot & they were talking about tyres of yore, It's possibly even a throw back to radials! :lol:

I think your supposed to rotate tyres to even out the wear, but mine are directional so I've never bothered

My rears tyres have lasted 18 months with little wear, however I'm on my third pair of front tyres.
It's probably best to move the rear tires to the front because the rubber allegedly 'goes off' for want of a better term, due to sunlight & weathering.

I do recall someone telling me many moons ago that, regardless of wear you should change your tires every twelve months or so. I suspect though tyre technology has improved a lot & they were talking about tyres of yore, It's possibly even a throw back to radials! :lol:

I think you mean crossplies.

Radials should go for or five years before the rubber starts to deteriorate. After this change 'em regardless of tread condition.

You can swap F/R with directional tyres, just keep L/L and R/R.

Assymetric ones can be fiddly. Even though they will mount anywhere it's not good to swap L/R as the reverse rotation can cause vabration.

I do recommending rotating F/R (but not L/R) to even out the wear.
Why?

Because although four tyres cost more than two it's much easier to strike a deal on decent rubber when buying four.

Cheers for clearing that up HDi, I can just remember the ad's warning against mixing raidials & crossply's, good job I wasn't driving back then! :lol:

Cheers for clearing that up HDi, I can just remember the ad's warning against mixing raidials & crossply's, good job I wasn't driving back then! :lol:

Mixing radial fronts and x-ply rears is not recommended. In fact, I think it's illegal. Not my idea of fun.

TN69 might shed a different light on this, however :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think the only allowable, though still reisky mix is a pair of X-plies up front and radials at the back.

UNDERSTEEEEER HERE WE COME!!!!!

Imagine trying to get a fully loaded supermarket trolley around a hairpin whilst going downhill.

I think the only allowable, though still reisky mix is a pair of X-plies up front and radials at the back.

UNDERSTEEEEER HERE WE COME!!!!!

Imagine trying to get a fully loaded supermarket trolley around a hairpin whilst going downhill.
Imagine being inside the trolley and you've just invented the best game ever. (Also describes a healthy chunk of my holidays in my school days)

I think they do you know, go "off" I mean, when I bought my car it had the original tyres on it from the factory, they were worn but not illegal and still had plenty of life left, (they were 9 years old) an old granny had the car before me and they were dangerous I tell you, especially in the wet they were Michelin Energy tyres they don't make the tread pattern like it any more I still got one as a spare and I would be driving in a hurry if i had to put it on even though it's a full size

I think this has been mentioned somewhere else on here, very recently. Buggered if I can find it though.

The Michelin Energy E3B is the latest one from Michelin but only in a small range of fitments.

The biggest offenders for lightly worn but perished tyres are the caravan towers.

As a matter of interest, The Rolls Royce Silver wraith 1948 I am presently restoring for a friend of mine still has the original Dunlop Fort tyres on it, holding air! sidewalls are all cracked up, tread in chunks, but was still able to push the car into the garage, remarkable for tyres over 70 years old, that too in a hot climate as in India!!