new to the site..

WilduB

Car
VW Polo 1.4MPi
Hey all... im new to this site and also fairly new to car mechanics/modding so this noob is looking for loads of help and advice ...

I currently have a 1.4MPi polo, mk3, I have done some minor work mainly to clean her up, dropped 35mm and had new shocks put on. And a good set of alloys.. Put in new clutch, starter and gear box and she is running really well..

So now I want to get on the the fun stuff!

I know an engine replacement would be ideal and I would like to do that at some point, and will! but what is some of the first things people recommend i do? Maybe things i can do before an engine replacement, so yea, let the advice flow need to know anything and everything.. cheers guys!

Greetings and welcome to our TorqueCars forum :)

You could try contacting some of our advertising tuners on here and see what options there are available for a remap of your car's ECU. I suspect it won't be huge but you will notice a difference in drivability.

If you are prepared to swap an engine in (I assume for a bigger/more powerful one) then I would suggest upgrading a few other pieces first.

You say the clutch is new but is it rated to handle the power you are looking to get from a new engine? If not that will need upgrading.
As will the entire drivetrain. However a lot of gearboxes can handle more power than their native engines, so you may be ok there.

With great power comes great responsibility.... to drive around corners safely ;) If your suspension setup can't handle it you may find yourself in a ditch.
Also bigger & better brakes so you can stop again.

A larger engine will need a better exhaust to enable it breath properly. As well as the intake to get the air in the engine in the first place. Plus injectors, fuel lines and pump.

Forced Induction (turbo or supercharger)? Or leaving it NA (Naturally Aspirated)? NA is the cheaper option by a long way, but turbos are fun :)

And with all that you'll need the wiring looms to support the engine and the ECU. Which will need to be mapped.

As you can see a simple engine swap isn't necessarily simple. The list goes on and can become a major piece of work. However if you have the patience, skill, and definitely money ('cos this lot won't be cheap), it can add up to a fun car :)

Definitely start by talking the mechanic/engineer who will doing the work as they will able to talk you through everything that needs to be done.

member: 35651"]If you are prepared to swap an eng assume for a bigger/more powerful one) then I would suggest upgrading a few other pieces first.

You say the clutbe but is it rated to handle the power you are looking to get from a new engine? If not that wilpgrading.
As will the entire drivetrain. However a lot of gearboxes can handle more power than their native engines, so you may be ok there.

With great power comes great responsibility.... to drive around corners safely ;) If your suspension setup can't handle it you may find yourself in a ditch.

A larger engine will need a better exhaust to enable it breath properly. As well as the intake to get the air in the engine in the first place. Plus injectors, fuel lines and pump.

Forced Induction (turbo or supercharger)? Or leaving it NA (Naturally Aspirated)? NA is the cheaper option by a long way, but turbos are fun :)

And with all that you'll need the wiring looms to support the engine and the ECU. Which will need to be mapped.

As you can see a simple engine swap isn't necessarily simple. The list goes on and can become a major piece of work. However if you have the patience, skill, and definitely money ('cos this lot won't be cheap), it can add up to a fun car :)

Definitely start by talking the mechanic/engineer who will doing the work as they will able to talk you through everything that needs to be done.[/QUOTE]

Thanks mate relay good advice and I wimp follow it
If you are prepared to swap an engine in (I assume for a bigger/more powerful one) then I would suggest upgrading a few other pieces first.

You say the clutch is new but is it rated to handle the power you are looking to get from a new engine? If not that will need upgrading.

Definitely start by talking the mechanic/engineer who will doing the work as they will able to talk you through everything that needs to be done.

Thanks mate! Really helpful and it will be my partners dad helping me hes just a watchful eye while i learn but he wont let me bugger anythig up :)

What little jobs / little up grades could i do befor any big work that will improve the running of the car. Not really prefomance or anything just keep her running well? like air intake maybe? I would like to put a new exhust on but should i wait, if i do replace the engine which wont be for a few months as im breaking down my old accord to fund it, i dont want do jobs that ill have to re do once the new engine is in if thay makes sence?

And my engine is a 1.4mpi would a turbo or super charger work on that?

Im guessing before any new breaks or suspension etc its best to sort the engune and fit the other biys to accomadate the new power?

Sorry for all the questions :)

Im guessing before any new breaks or suspension etc its best to sort the engune and fit the other biys to accomadate the new power?
I would go the other way around; brakes and suspension first. They will benefit you right away.

I would go the other way around; brakes and suspension first. They will benefit you right away.

I think the previous owner may have had the suspension done, I will ask them tomorrow. And breaks is a good idea I think.

I'm thinking I may not really try and gain much more power reading on line I'm looking at 10% max and not worth it really.. I'm thinking new air intake new exhaust, new breaks. Make it sound nice and run well until I have money to really up grade. I'm not expecting much performanc and she's got some poke anyway.

Nice one man!

Hello and a very warm, if a little late, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin! Really nice to have you along.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back