New scale for Torque

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
With PS,N,Psi,KGsqt,lbs sqft etc it gets hard to compare power figures from one country to another so I thought we really need to devise a proper torque scale that works internationally.

What about the number of double decker buses you can pull? (It's an often used scale for dinosours and whale length!)

Alternatively Torque could be measured on the angle of slope you can pull up a 1 ton trailer without stalling.;)

Then there is the plain silly no of elephants you can beat at tug of war.

What other Torque scales can you come up with and does it wind you up that different countries use different scales.

Waynne, I think you're slightly out here. lb/sqft is a measaure of pressure, and a s such needs sqaure unit of area. Torque is a measure of rotational force. Whether we get a more unified unit of measure is immaterial if no-one really knows what the stuff is.

Here goes, I'll try for an analogy.

Imagine a 1 foot long spanner which is in horizontal position and attached to a difficult to undo bolt.

If you now go and hang a 100lb weight from the end of the spanner you are applying 100lbft of torque to the bolt. But the bolt doesn't budge.

So you hang another 100lb weight on the end of the spanner. Now you're applying 200lbft of torque.

TO every force there's an equal and opposite force. So the bolt is presenting a torque of 200lbft against the spanner.

Last edited:
This is only meant to be a fun thread really :). I can also start an indepth thread on what torque is but I think we've done that already.

Ok, I concede I was getting a bit silly there with the measures! I thought about adding Minutes per square foot as well! :lol:

So your new measure (no where near as frivolous as I was hoping) is weights on a spanner! ;) I can see that working but that's not that far off what we have really.

Don't you think we can use double decker buses somewhere in this?

I don't think many cars would stand that kind of load for long. A London Routemaster is [surprisingly] only about 7 tons unladen. But that's still nearly six more tons than my car weighs.

How about installing 72 passengers in the form of Torque Cars members to add a bit of ballast?

Then we could take bets on whether the clutch is gonna smoke itself to death before the transaxle dumps a pile of circlips all over the tarmac.:lol::lol::lol:

I'm voting for how long the wheels spin when you dump the clutch from standing, lol. Could also measure SSFPDALC (*split seconds from pedal down at light change). C/a (Clutches per annum). When it comes to torque with tools, I think expletive per minute should do the trick. And why all the love for double deckers? Lol. What about the bendy busses? Haha.

You never see dinosours or blue whales compared to bendy buses! Trust a Londoner to want bendy buses.;)

I don't know about new measures but I can confirm that Torque (& bhp) is directly proportional to how many pints of beer are consumed. :amuse:

I don't know about new measures but I can confirm that Torque (& bhp) is directly proportional to how many pints of beer are consumed. :amuse:

Good point - I've heard of so many Vauxhall Novas which can top 175mph. During such conversations none of us has been remotely capable of driving one at even 75mph.

Given the price of beer these days, it kind of ruins the argument that torque is cheap.

What about expressing torque as the number of bar staff needed to wring an ale-soaked bar towel bone dry? You could call the unit BARS - what's that? It's been done? Oh b****r! Oi'll get me coat.

As it was Sir Isaac that formulated the theory of gravity whilst sitting under a tree, what is a KiloNewtonMetre? I'll tell you. It's the energy exerted when approx two and a quarter pounds of Grannie Smiths are dropped on your head from a height of just over one yard.

Here's another. Let's just change the spelling of BHP to Break Horse Power - i.e. the maximum power exerted just before you break something, which brings us neatly back to Primera half-shafts!

Shaft Horse Power is what the dealer claims the car has, just before you realise you have been..........

2G* is a cornering force, and coincides with the amount you'd have to spend on a suspension/wheels/tyres upgrade to achieve it.

(*The equivalent of having 2 gorillas trying to pull you sideways from your car without opening the door first. If you're going over a humped-back bridge, they may come in through the sunroof)

Last edited:
What about the number of fences you can crash through!

Or the age of tree you can uproot! Pulling out a tree stump needs loads of torque, good traction and a killer clutch! I've seen 4x4 pickups beaten by a modest tree stump.

I think HDi's got it! :lol::lol::lol:

What about the number of fences you can crash through!

Or the age of tree you can uproot! Pulling out a tree stump needs loads of torque, good traction and a killer clutch! I've seen 4x4 pickups beaten by a modest tree stump.

A mate of mine brought his HGV tow truck round to mine to haul out a fairly old tree stump, the trunk was only about a foot in diametre. He came full of enthusiasm and left stinking of defeat :lol::lol::lol:

A beeter explanation

Going too fast is why you hit the fence
Bhp is how hard you hit it
Torque is how far you carry on after you hit it