new engine ordered :)

geraint13

Pro Tuner
Car
Zafira 1.9 SRI
Haven't been posting for a while but here's an update for me......
Taken old engine out and ordered reconditioned one at a cost of 840 quid. Including cat and delivery.
Found out that the swirl flaps wasn't the cause of this. When I stripped the engine they where all in tact. Blanking plates going in with new engine.one thing done.
Have now also found the gearbox and torque converter are shot as well. Bought another reconditioned box and converter for 520 quid inc vat and del.

So, hopefully in the next week or so..... Back on the road.

Blimey young Gee you have been busy! Are you fitting the engine back in yourself or is it over to the pro's for that job. Don't forget those all important progress pics for us ;)

You're certainly not messing around, it will be a practically new car when you've finished, mechanically at least.

Have you an agreed total price for the engine and box swap Gee or is it on a day rate? What about the little extras, gaskets, oils, filters etc? Are you taking care of these as an when they are needed or is the mechanic doing a total fit out with the ancillaries included?

Total fit on mates rates as in he's charging 200 quid and as I get at lot of work for him. Just got to get oil and brake fluid. Will be going to Bmw as I have now got a mate there who will get it for next to nothing.
So here's to happy motoring soon I hope. Will het some pics up soon as I get to a pc.

all engine parts switched over. New gearbox and torque converter fitted. Engine going back in today.
When engine was lifted out and tilted on hoist, no joke, about 8 litres of oil came out. Also turbo had oil in it. Hoping I don't need to get a new one. Fingers crossed.

Might be prudent Gee to see if there is a gasket/seal kit for the turbo and have this fitted just in case.

Curses! that happened to me when the car was only 4 years old :blink:
Thank goodness for the car main dealer who was thoroughly embarrassed and sorted it all out for me; they had to smash the front grill to open the bonnet thus enabling them to replace the cable but all was good afterwards.

Taken kidney grills out and it ain't broke there or inside the car. Halfway up the top of the divers wing just under the lip of the bonnet. If I don't laugh ill be gallon of petrol and using my lighter.

Then to top it off, I lost my van keys Friday nite. Paid 200 quid to have a new key and fob and then had a phone call ay 2 to say they had been found. How unlucky can 1 welshman be I ask myself ?

Blimey, so your well overdue for some good luck Gee! Splashed out 4 lucky dips earlier for tomorrow nights Euro £61m jackpot; don't worry, your car problems will be a thing of the past if it comes up for me ;)

Nope. It is honestly getting to the point where it will have to go to BMW. It's so bad now and taking so long that I've had to turn work down. Which in this day and age is not a good idea.
:( the unhappy face doesn't even come close. !!

Ouch, BMW! :amazed: That's going to hurt, but then turning down work is an absolute no no these days. I really hope this all works out for you Gee as soon as and with the least financial outlay from your wallet buddy.

Well car is now in a garage. Not a BMW one, as they have had a bad run of luck. (not as bad as mine but...) The owners rung me last week to cancel my appt as the bloke was rushed to hospital and not very well. Any way took it to a garage that seem to only does German motors.
Will here back Tuesday I hope.

Yippee Kay ay !! Heard back off the garage, should have car back by Friday, fully running and all cool as !!
Non start problem was mis connected wires and vac pipes connected wrong. No biggie but garage cost is not somthing I need at this time of year. But what the hell, car back soon !!