Nedd advice buying first car! Saxo, 106 etc. . . .

jizy

Wrench Pro
I turn 17 at the beginning of the summer and I am looking for my first motor. I need advice on what I can realistically get. I have heard so many different opinions and just need someone that knows what they are talking about to help.

I have around £1500 - £2K to spend and probability going on parents policy. Can afford about £800 a year insurance. Also got £600 to modify car sensibly. No body kits, Lexus lights etc.

I really don't want a 1.1 and looking to get 1.6. Most of my mates are coming up to buying second car at 18 so would like something that I wont get laughed at in.

I really like the Saxo vtr/vts but need some help on what I can get and prices. what mods I can do.

If someone could help me out I would appreciate it!

Cheers,

I think the biggest problem you will have is meeting the insurance costs. Why not compromise with a 1.4 - take off the badge and your mates will never know :wink: Without being too harsh and just making generalisations based on my own experience - you will probably crash the first car so make it a cheap one initially as getting back on the road can be really crippling.

A 1.4 will still give some tuning options as well like a fast road cam, and sports exhaust but stick with a panel air filter.

Cheers wayne. I think your right, I am going for the 1.4, money I save on the insurance and buying the car Il spend modding it. Looking to get:

Supersprint back box
K&N Panel filter
Disc brakes all round

I don't no allot about the cams and stuff and chance of a bit of help there. Also is there any garages in south east, Hampshire area that can carry work out if I get stuck? Hopeing to most of it myself with help from a few mates that are handy.

A 1.4 is a good choice for first car. I had to start out with a 1.3 Nova but there was quite a bit of power there! Well for a 1.3 anyway.