Naughty little habits - Fess up!

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
We all have those naughty little driving habits and some will eventually kill our cars here are mine what are yours?

• Resting hand on the gearstick - this can cause premature wear I'm told!
  • Resting foot over the clutch - caused very slight drag wearing the clutch.
  • Keeping clutch down at junctions - This can wreck the release bearing, stretch the cable and helped me kill 3 clutch cables overall (its worse on power and uprated clutches as there is more stress.
  • Driving off immediately - rather than wait for the engine to warm up! This causes premature engine wear as the oil is not fully circulating.
  • Revving hard when cold - (Nearly cured of this habit now) This really does cause damage, to the pistons especially eventually your pistons will permenently rattle when cold.

Fiat chinq

I've got a fiat chinq as a run around until the beasty mk1 astra v6 is on the road... i've got all those habits....

Driving hard from cold, gone through 2 cluch cables, an accelerator cable and the syncro is going on the gear box.

Really hate this car.... saying that though, the sound system does sound better in a smaller car.

Jake

Driving in low gears with the engine at high revs. You can't beat the sound of a V8. 8)

Arm on the door top.

Can't really do much more than that. The car's auto and the shifter is on the steering collum so I can't rest my hand on it.

Elbow on the Door handle, and pretty much all the rest, plus palm steering, crossing my hands and does eating a 3 course meal with soup as a starter, a lobster main and profiteroles for afters while driving count as a bad habit? :lol: :lol:

xavier said:
Elbow on the Door handle, and pretty much all the rest, plus palm steering, crossing my hands and does eating a 3 course meal with soup as a starter, a lobster main and profiteroles for afters while driving count as a bad habit? :lol: :lol:

I think there is also the slight possibility of a driving without due care and attention issue as well. Please tell me the soup was through a straw.

fingers said:
Driving in low gears with the engine at high revs. You can't beat the sound of a V8. 8)

Arm on the door top.

Can't really do much more than that. The car's auto and the shifter is on the steering collum so I can't rest my hand on it.

Or the sound of a V6

woodywoodpecker said:
fingers said:

Arm on the door top.

Or the sound of a V6

Nah. You can't compare the sound of a V6 the the deep lazy rumble of a proper American V8 engine. 8) :D

waynne said:
We all have those naughty little driving habits and some will eventually kill our cars here are mine what are yours?

• Resting hand on the gearstick - this can cause premature wear I'm told!
  • Resting foot over the clutch - caused very slight drag wearing the clutch.
  • Keeping clutch down at junctions - This can wreck the release bearing, stretch the cable and helped me kill 3 clutch cables overall (its worse on power and uprated clutches as there is more stress.
  • Driving off immediately - rather than wait for the engine to warm up! This causes premature engine wear as the oil is not fully circulating.
  • Revving hard when cold - (Nearly cured of this habit now) This really does cause damage, to the pistons especially eventually your pistons will permenently rattle when cold.

I'm guilty of all of the above.

Not to bad on the gear stick although I have notice I’ve been doing it more.

My foot over the clutch is an annoying one but I think it maybe more to do with the way I have my seat set.

I'm not too bad for driving str8 away, I tend to let the car heat up but the neighbours ain't to please at 6.30am.

I think my biggest problem is pulling away from the lights to quick. I don't rip away from the light but I do notice compared to other ppl I do tend to be 1st of the mark. I blame my car for sounding so good!

I get about 90 miles for £20 of higher grade fuel. It’s around 98-99p per/litre. Does that sound a lot? ( I’m only really looking for some to say no :D )

vr1066 said:
I get about 90 miles for £20 of higher grade fuel. It’s around 98-99p per/litre. Does that sound a lot? ( I’m only really looking for some to say no :D )
No that is NOT GOOD thats near on 20 mpg! Do you realise that the throttle can be partially open - its not just on or off! :lol: :lol:

heheheh yeah I know mate.

The best I've had out of the her is 30-35mpg but that was on the motor way.

Could there be a reason other than a heavy foot as to why my mpg is so poor.

The best I've had for town driving it 25mpg, but I must admit 20-23 is my average. I genuinely don't drive fast alot, in fact of late very rarely. Like i've mention before i do tend to pull away from the lights quick but not especially fast and not all the time.

when i had my mkII gti i got about 120-140 for £20 standard fuel so i assumed with the bigger engine and more costly fuel that 20-23mpg in the vr6 was about average.

What does the book say you should be getting? I had a 2.0 Rover that only did about 23-25 until I got the engine rebuilt and head worked then I was in the 30's most of the time!

fuel consumption

I got that licked, put £20 in my littel fiat chinq and i managed to do 230 miles.... ok it is iritatingly slow..... terrible in the wet and the car ramdomly overheats but loving the long distance driving (not for the comfort, thats pretty bad too).

That being said when the mk1 v6 astra is on the road i'm gonna need to to re morgage the house to keep it on the road :p

Jake

my bad habbit is doing a small burnout when leaving trafic lights just luv it,
reving engine,

leaving music on full blast so when i urn on the car in the morning it blasts off the last track playing wakes me up but scarey

I recorded a custom CD - last weeks morning show starting at 8:30 on quiet levels then I added a bit really loud with a soppy message to kick in at 8:47 when my wife parks at work - it worked really well! Scared the life out of her mind :lol: