My primera engine.

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
Car
Insignia SRI.
Hi all. Right I have a couple questions. There are 2 engine codes for my car. And they are SR20De and Sr20DE. First question is thow do I find out which one mine is. And what is needed "if it can be done" to make my engine the same spec as the Gt version? If anyone has any info on this it will be much appreciated. My car is the gx version and I assume it is the 130bhp model engine but can I make it a Gt engine for the 150bhp???? Many thanks in advance people....:D

Hi all. Right I have a couple questions. There are 2 engine codes for my car. And they are SR20De and Sr20DE. First question is thow do I find out which one mine is. And what is needed "if it can be done" to make my engine the same spec as the Gt version? If anyone has any info on this it will be much appreciated. My car is the gx version and I assume it is the 130bhp model engine but can I make it a Gt engine for the 150bhp???? Many thanks in advance people....:D
alright mate, how are ya???

if you go to main dealer, they will tell you what you need to know
i go to honda and they ask for a chassis no.
all info about the car will show up on their computer, its like a database or something trhey have, thats all i can tell you though, as the rest is strictly confidential, na mate, i just dont know about nissan engines

The De has an aluminium coloured (unpainted) head and cam cover. The DE's is black with gold lettering. This also includes the timing chain cover to the left of the engine (yes, there is no belt to worry about!).

The DE also has the oil filter located differently (don't know why but Nissan engine designers are very clever and the reason will be totally sensible).

The De is 128bhp, the DE is 150bhp.

The GX will have the SR20De unit. The DE is more powerful, but not so much that you'd notice unless you use all 7000 plus RPM all the time. Conversion is not possible AFAIK

Also the P11s with the DE engine have dark blue instrument backgrounds, the De cars have black (at least, in UK models).

De red line is about 6800rpm, DE is 7300rpm.

The DE was only available in the GT or optionally in the SE or SE automatic model (though I've never seen one in the UK).

They are very similar engines otherwise, both equally durable.

Last edited:
That's nothing for the SR20 series engines. There's examples around with over half a million miles on with nothing more severe that a set of valve stem oil seals needing replacement.

That's nothing for the SR20 series engines. There's examples around with over half a million miles on with nothing more severe that a set of valve stem oil seals needing replacement.

The engine is still as sweet as a nut. It only has a little prob which I just can't trace...

The engine is still as sweet as a nut. It only has a little prob which I just can't trace...

It will be, and will remain so. Nissan engines from that era combined the very best of traditional engineering (eg. chain driven camshafts and cooling systems vented to the atmosphere rather than the pressurised ones that are far more common, there's still a radiator cap, the battery is not totally maintenance free) with a superb twice per cycle Bosh derived fuel management system.

It all adds up to a very desireable machine. Have you tried Forte's Gas Treatment?

It chemically deals with a number of issues for which no specific cause can be isolated

It will be, and will remain so. Nissan engines from that era combined the very best of traditional engineering (eg. chain driven camshafts and cooling systems vented to the atmosphere rather than the pressurised ones that are far more common, there's still a radiator cap, the battery is not totally maintenance free) with a superb twice per cycle Bosh derived fuel management system.

It all adds up to a very desireable machine. Have you tried Forte's Gas Treatment?

It chemically deals with a number of issues for which no specific cause can be isolated

I had thought about it but not tried it as yet. I think i'm gonna do a full service soon so i'll give it a go after that.....

Hi, just to clarify a few points, the SR20DE has a black cam cover with silver(unpainted alloy) lettering, has a slightly larger cooling system, different cam lobe height on the inlet side and the oil pressure runs approx 0.5bar higher.
Basically the SR20De is the lower spec and the DE is the higher.
There is also differences according to year of manufacture;
Phase I - 1990 to june 1993
Phase II - june 1993 to october 1996
PhaseIII - october 1996 to september 1999
Oh and the gt`s have grey dash dials,
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
150bhp DE engines have uprated Camshafts and ECU, thats all the real differance.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
Will do a full intro later when I get some time.
I have both the SR20DE and SR20VE powered cars- hoping to learn more on this forum.

Thanks once again. ;)

Hello all. I am new to the forum. I have Primera 2.2 2004 done 68000 miles. Will be discussing few things from tomorrow on wards.