Moving a Battery?

Skullion

Torque Junkie
Car
Celica GT
I've been thinking about moving the battery into the Boot for some time but never really got off my butt and did anything about it so does anyone have any tips on how to do this without causing any danagers?

I'm needing more place in the engine bay to allow me to make a box to put my air filter in. Thanks

Gel based battery, im pretty sure these are batteries where instead of the electrolite being a fluid and leaking, sloshing about etc, a gel based battery would effectively be a gel instead of a fluid.... preventing the battery from leaking etc..... i think this is right if im wrong im sure some one on here will put it right!

also i would suggest the battery gases are vented out of the car, rather than just into the boot where it has no where to go.

yeah the gel is less likey to come out and cover you in acid in the event of an accident

gases should be vented to the outside rather than just into the boot

Thanks alot everyone, very helpful stuff there. However this can turn out to be alot more work than I thought ..... hmmmm :(

Stuff022.jpg

Trying to think,.....The Pipe's on the Air filter is going to be replaced next week with a smaller on, so it's not stuck right in the corner. So it'll free very little space which might be possible to fit a box in there with the currently battery, however I'll need to measure up and check. I'm just wanting to allow Max Air flow through the engine without putting the standard box back on :p

Thanks again

It's not a hard job, time consuming and not cheap when done properly yes, but the end result is well worth the hassle. We have done quite a few conversions but i'll admit that having things like a lathe and T.I.G. welding equipment makes some of the jobs much easier. We can make brackets, turn down billet material and thread it when we want to etc.
That doesn't make tasks like this beyond the scope of someone doing it at home, improvise. Where we use aluminium or stainless steel for brackets, either use normal steel and paint it or make your brackets and get them welded locally [paint after welding, not before]. There's plenty of ways to overcome hurdles, use your imagination, just do things safely.

I've put this on Hold for a couple weeks. Just had to go and order Front new Disc's and Pads and Rear Shocks :(

However With the Battery thing, I've been trying to work it out over and over, and it has to go lol ..... no much room in the engine bay, so my mate has a Weilding machine which I've getting him to make 2 Boxes. One for the Air Filter and the other for the Battery.

When Putting the Battery in a box in the boot, Which is the best material to use to aviod blowing the battery? ..... I've been planning to bolt the battery to the Box and the Box to the Boot, then Drill a few holes in the Box straight through the Bottem of the Car allowing Air Vents which the Box will (Hopefully) be Air Tight avoiding cold air in the winter haha :p

Maybe i'm mis-reading this and if so, please forgive me, but do you intend to drill or bolt into a battery somewhere ?
Your safest bet by far is to invest in a Gel type battery like an Optima. Make a bracket to secure it into the boot of your car and then make a cover to go over the battery. You don't actually need to vent a Gel battery but if you do so, just run a pipe from the battery box cover to atmosphere. There is always a pipe like a water run off pipe through the boot floor somewhere, locate that and run the pipe through the same grommet, you only need a small pipe for this.

lol maybe it was a daft idea, but I was going to be a bracket for the battery then put box over the battery and drill couple holes into the floor of the boot to allow air vents.

The Pipe thing is a good idea but if I get a Gel Battery I don't need any Air Vents or anything?