Mot change proposals

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
It looks like they are thinking of changing the MOT for new cars to 4 years instead of 3 years.

1 in 6 cars fail the first MOT after just 3 years. I've also known some brand new cars that have failed an MOT.

Do you think a 4 year test will mean there are more dangerous cars on the road?

Will this mean that motorists hang on to their cars for 4 years instead of changing it at 3 years?

Surely as technology advances cars get better and safer.
But..... Would it not be more advisable to have these tests done after X miles? With more and more cars being connected to the interwebz manufacturers know how many miles a car has been driven and get MOT tests booked and done.
Of course that isn't enforceable unless the car is connected so the measure of time will have to do and 4 years seems reasonable for newer cars.

I completely disagree, a car traveling up and down the motorway every day hardly has any wear and tear on it's components, where as a car pottering around town, up and down the gearbox, driving around roundabouts, going over speed bumps will have a lot harder life, but probably a tenth of the mileage.

I do agree with claymore to a degree there, however there are some motorways and 'A' roads that have poor road surfaces that would cause more damage or premature wear at speed and that's only from my experience of local roads. The A27 from Havant to Chichester is one fast dual carriageway that is full of massive potholes. I guess the DoT have justified the need with a wad of data :)

i agree with claymore milage just wont be "fair" different driving styles and types etc.

not that it matters - you simply couldnt do it on mileage anyway - it would have to be an exact mileage or it wouldnt be workable......... so there i am abroad on hols. I pass the figure and Im illegal as soon as i hit uk shores

If cars can auto regulate their service intervals based on driving conditions perhaps they could flag up the need for an MOT test as well? (I guess that will just be far to complicated to enforce or follow!)

Looks like they are scrapping this idea and sticking with the current 3 year interval from new in the UK.