More power to my Punto?

Isamu

Tuner
Hi everyone can anyone give me some more tips on getting more power out of a 1.2 engine. I know that I need a better exhaust and induction kit but has anyone got any clever tips. :lol:

Afraid not or I would have gone for something with a larger engine. I just wanted to get something small so that it is lower on insurence and tax as well. Also the way petrol is going as well. :twisted:

Have you got a (IAT) sensor on your car. They are normally located on the cold air feed pipe that goes to the air filter. If you have you can fit one of those power modules that are allways for sale on ebay.
Some are better than others but they all do the same thing and for no more than £5 including p+p, you cant go wrong.
The power module thing works better on some cars than others but for £5 its a real cheap couple of horses. The salers on ebay claim that the power mod gives you between 10 + 15 bhp gain, more depending what size engine you have but if you got 3 or 5 bhp gain I would still be happy if i was you.
I know some one that fitted the power mod to a 1.0 and they reckoned it went like a 1.4 after, so they do work.

They're f*cking bull. You jam a resistor between the MAF and the ECU.

They trick the ECU into believing the intake air is colder than it really is, therefore making the mixture richer than it needs to be.

The power of suggestion is an amazing thing.

"Give me £5 and i'll make your 1000cc car go like a 1400cc"

Don't you think that if they worked, everyone would have one? Or they'd fit one at the factory?

Sorry to say, Isamu, but there is no real easy, cheap way to tune a 1.2

Right mr know it all.
Ok as your so smart. How you going to make a 1.1 go like a 1.4 with a £5!
I would love to know.

the_names_james said:
They're f*cking bull$hit. You jam a resistor between the MAF and the ECU.

They trick the ECU into believing the intake air is colder than it really is, therefore making the mixture richer than it needs to be.

"Give me £5 and i'll make your 1000cc car go like a 1400cc"

Don't you think that if they worked, everyone would have one? Or they'd fit one at the factory?

househooligan said:
...for no more than £5 including p+p...

...I know some one that fitted the power mod to a 1.0 and they reckoned it went like a 1.4 after, so they do work.

You obviously didn't get it.

The people on ebay are effectively telling you to hand over a small amount of money in return for an unreal performance increase.

Ask about the "performance resistors" (or 'power modules') on any other forum, I can guarantee you'll be told they're a waste of money.

And feel free to keep your Mr. Know-It-All comments in the future :rolleyes:

the_names_james said:
househooligan said:
...for no more than £5 including p+p...

...I know some one that fitted the power mod to a 1.0 and they reckoned it went like a 1.4 after, so they do work.

You obviously didn't get it.

The people on ebay are effectively telling you to hand over a small amount of money in return for an unreal performance increase.

Ask about the "performance resistors" (or 'power modules') on any other forum, I can guarantee you'll be told they're a waste of money.

And feel free to keep your Mr. Know-It-All comments in the future :rolleyes:

Ok what you said makes sence. But havce you treid one?
And you still have not exspained how YOU are going to make a 1.1 go like a 1.4 for £5 as you said you could.
I was only trying to help the bloke. You dont have to attack me.
I did not know faulse advertisement was legal! Other wise I would not have mention it.
Any way If he was to have a performance air filter as well as the resitor would that not compensate for the richer mixcher.

househooligan said:

Nope, and I wouldn't.

househooligan said:
And you still have not exspained how YOU are going to make a 1.1 go like a 1.4 for £5 as you said you could.

I was using what you said about the resistor costing a max of £5, and your statement about your friend and his 1 litre.

househooligan said:
You dont have to attack me.

It was hardly an attack.

househooligan said:
Any way If he was to have a performance air filter as well as the resitor would that not compensate for the richer mixcher.

No, it wouldn't. It would not matter how much air was entering the engine, the resistor would always be telling the ECU that the air is colder than it really is, therefore the ECU would always be injecting more fuel than necessary.

Back to the topic. Try stripping the car of unneeded weight. Increase the power to weight ratio and make the most of the power you have. Also, driving a stripped out motor makes you feel like you're driving some kind of rally car :wink:

the_names_james said:
househooligan said:

Nope, and I wouldn't.

househooligan said:

I was using what you said about the resistor costing a max of £5, and your statement about your friend and his 1 litre.

househooligan said:
You dont have to attack me.

It was hardly an attack.

househooligan said:

No, it wouldn't. It would not matter how much air was entering the engine, the resistor would always be telling the ECU that the air is colder than it really is, therefore the ECU would always be injecting more fuel than necessary.

Back to the topic. Try stripping the car of unneeded weight. Increase the power to weight ratio and make the most of the power you have. Also, driving a stripped out motor makes you feel like you're driving some kind of rally car :wink:

I have been told by a very good souce makeing the mixture richer will not make any differents to power at low revs, if any think you will make the car run poorley but having a richer mixture when the engine is reving very hard will increase the revs slightley more than if the mixture was normal thus giving more power. But only a small differents "The man who use to work for cosworth research & development team and my next door neighbor exspained to me" but a differents all the same.
In other words. Your wrong by saying the resistor that makes the mixture richer dose not give any more power and I was techically right to say that it dose even thoe the power increase is so small and only near to the red line it would properly not be noticed. :lol:

househooligan said:
I have been told by a very good souce makeing the mixture richer will not make any differents to power at low revs, if any think you will make the car run poorley but having a richer mixture when the engine is reving very hard will increase the revs slightley more than if the mixture was normal thus giving more power. But only a small differents "The man who use to work for cosworth research & development team and my next door neighbor exspained to me" but a differents all the same.
In other words. Your wrong by saying the resistor that makes the mixture richer dose not give any more power and I was techically right to say that it dose even thoe the power increase is so small and only near to the red line it would properly not be noticed. :lol:

Feel free to point out where I specifically said that. IIRC I said they are a waste of money. They can cause major problems, and all I was really trying to do was warn him.

Also, take a look at this.

I know people generally don't like being told they're wrong, but you don't always have to be right. :rolleyes:

the_names_james said:
househooligan said:

Feel free to point out where I specifically said that.
They're bull. You jam a resistor between the MAF and the ECU.

"Give me £5 and i'll make your 1000cc car go like a 1400cc" Still have not told us how yet!

I know people generally don't like being told they're wrong, but you don't always have to be right.

Yes I do! especially when I am right.

Ok, I admit a resistor in the IAT sensor is a smegg way to tune a efi engine and could cause damage in the long run and my mate that rekons it has transformed his 1.1 to a 1.4 is not realy my mate and is renowned for being a bull s h i ter.
If you realy wanna increase power Isamu forget performance filters and exsausts for now and spend the money on getting the head reworked first.
Thats what I would do!

Hey guys - Chill out ! 8) . You are both making interesting points and from them we form a better opinion of the issue in question ie: the resister things are naff.

It starts getting a bit pointless when we start arguing about inferences and implications in each others posts. A forum is very different to speech and it is hard to convey subtleties like Irony, Sarcasm and this can create misunderstandings and generally makes what we type sound more impolite than if we spoke the words ourself.

waynne said:
Hey guys - Chill out ! 8) . You are both making interesting points and from them we form a better opinion of the issue in question ie: the resister things are naff.

It starts getting a bit pointless when we start arguing about inferences and implications in each others posts. A forum is very different to speech and it is hard to convey subtleties like Irony, Sarcasm and this can create misunderstandings and generally makes what we type sound more impolite than if we spoke the words ourself.

If it was not for guys like you in these forum's every one would be fighting about stupid things like what colour to use when wrighting a post and wanting to hunt down and kill the person that said you were wrong.
Thanks for bringing me back to normality. Love & peace to every one in the torquecars forum's. Can I have a hug?

I would say this forum lost its way somewhere along the MY POST IS BETTER THAN YOURS BIT.

Can I suggest a fast road cam air induction kit and bigger injectors there is a lot more to get out the engine power wise - htink Alfa Romeo equivilent engines.