mondeo TDCi chiptuning: a new clutch?

halpha

Car
Mondeo TDCi 2.0
hi there. just fitted my beast with a (mild :confused:) chiptuning box from germany that on paper would guarantee 380 Nm @ 1500 rpm and some extra 35/40 "real" HP, would anyone with similar specs suggest to pay extra attention to the clutch, or the increase in power is so small that the std clutch will certainly not suffer?

thanks

The standard clutches on these can handle a lot of power. If the clutch is old and worn it might complain. I guess you just have to try it and see. If the clutch starts slipping then go for an uprated clutch but I don't think you will need to really.

thanks waynne, much appreciated. the car has just turned 100k km, thought to tune it only after the guarantee expired. I´ll keep an eye, or better an ear and...a foot on the clutch slip issue, so far it seems the only things that slip are the tyres...:toung:

I´ve read the tips on the next steps to take with Mondeo, and I think the airbox filter may be next. any specific advice on this?

again thanks

cheers

Cotton filters seem to be best in terms of filtration and flow rate. It is a really easy mod to do so get one and drop it in. You should get a slightly better response througout the rev range. The big plus is that as it is washable you never have to buy another filter again!

I'd consider ditching the tuning box and getting a full ECu remap but you are getting good results so far. This has no bearing upon the question thus posed, so I'll proceed to try and offer some relevant information....

The clutch should stand up to the extra torque quite well unless you have 2.2 TDCi which will go close to 350lbft after tuning and will possibly prove itself to be too much for the standard item.

Much as clutch operation is about smoothness in general driving, the less time spent with it partially engaged (slipping) the better.

If the torque is simply too savage for the standard unit ie. it slips when you accelerate even with the clutch pedal fully released then there are a number of high performance replacement parts available. ALL will involve stiffer return springs, so expect a stiffer pedal feel. Most will also use different materials which may lead to snatchy and uneven behaviour unless you are silky smooth in pedal operation.

Try http://www.helix-autosport.com/ for some product advice.

Last edited: