mk1 mondy

mondy1982daz

Car
mk1 mondeo 1.8lx16v
hi all new to the forum and new to styling. so i thought i would list what i was looking at having done and you guys could tell me if possible and easy or hard to get done.

first off looking at exterier
bodykit (dont know which but will be subtle, smooth and understated)
alloys (these will depend on above)
upgrade suspension, springs, dampers (lowering this dependant on alloys)
upgrade brakes (do i have to get a certain style or type????)
de-badged and Locked with keyless entry and keyless ignition
tints
new exhaust system, want dual exit dont know if can but maybe custom(do i need a cat?)
new paint job dont know what yet but something smooth and clean
lights front and back and repeaters

engine
new air filter
dont know what else maybe injector flush or new ones dont want to mess too much with this(ideas?????)

interier
change manual sunroof and rear windows to electric
upgrade the dash to incorporate a sat nav/cd/dvd/computer
new seats and carpets(prob leather)
then all the little things new steering wheel/gear knob and garter/dials/personal reg

i want to put in cd player controls on the steering column like in later models is this possible????

thanks in advance for all your help and feel free to mock the noob i can take it

hey and welcome to the site mate

body kit and alloys will leave to you.
suspension try and go for a coilover kit that allows you to set the ride hide and damping.
brakes - stay away from race pads as they need to be hot to work efficiently. going for bigger setups are expensive, try a breakers yard for a ST version and get the seals renewed on them. best idea would be to get a decent set of pads. stay away from drilled discs, yes they look good but they can crack with heat fatigue from getting heat up then cooled down often.

delocking should be easy enough but the keyless ignition is slightly harder with the immobiliser as the key sends a signal to the immobiliser. push start button is easy enough.

exhaust - speak to powerflow if your after a custom job. as for the cat technically no you dont need it however passing the emissions test will be harder and can you really be bothered switching between the decat and the cat every MOT. a good option is to go for a sports cat which is free flowing yet as long as the engine is running well you shouldnt have problems with the test.
also look towards getting the exhaust manifold changed as well.

lights - PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM CHAVY LEXUS LIGHTS they dont suit many cars other than the is200

engine - what are you looking for induction kit or panel filter. induction kits look better however the panel filter gives a better spread of power through the range where the induction kit will give more gain at the top but lose it at the bottom-mid range. if your airbox is rough inside look at smoothing it out to improve the airflow.

when was it last serviced? give it a oil change and filters (oil is the most important thing in the engine, think of it as blood)
if been serviced pretty recently and cambelt in good condition then fill it with super unleaded (dont be put off by the price its only around £2.50 a tank more) and some injector cleaner. let the engine heat up to operating temp plus around 10-15 mins more to allow the oil to get up to operating temp as well. find an empty straight road and rev through 2nd gear 3-4 times, 2nd gear should allow you to get to redline without going over speed limits then drive it normally to allow the engine to cool back down. this should clean out alot of the crud thats accumulated inside the cylinders.
dont know how serious you are on power seeing your just covering the stying aspects. so wont go into other ways of getting the power.

interior, windows shouldnt be too hard to change to leccy ones however the sunroof might be a bit harder.
leather seats can be found on ebay from higher models.
cd controls - you really need the cdplayer from the higher models and the steering wheel for the controls along with the wiring loom.
if your changing this theres only so many that will take the steering controls.
if your fancying a challenge and can build computer then look at putting a carputer in there. mines here took me around 6 weeks to build it up properly once i got started even then i wasnt at it as much as i could have been, talking i could have done it in around a week had i had everything to hand. mines does all my music, have alot of videos on them diagnostics and GPS

hope this is of some help.

cheers man, good advice there, how hard to build the computer with gps and evreything. have you got a full list of components i'll need or somewhere to look for it,

will be staying away from chavy looking styling as want a smooth subtle look.

how much work have you all done yourselves as i wanted to do alot myself except the major stuff (electrics and bodywork mainly)

Hi and a warm welcome to TorqueCars Mondy. Theres not a lot I can add to PG's post there.

Polish, port and gas flow the head to maximise your power return.

You could do most of what you've listed yourself. My advice before you start though would be invest in a Haynes manual so you can locate where things unscrew and such.
Leave the tints to a pro. It is possible to do yourself but will look much better done by a pro.
The dual exit exhaust can be done and i'd have a look round a few scrap yards for 1 as there is alot of mondeo's out there with them already.
I'd also look at getting some exterior mirrors with the indicator in and then scrapping the side repeater and smoothing it over.
Also make sure you keep services upto date and do regular checks on the oil level. I had 1 of these and it died a horrible death due to not having any oil and me not checking it.

Alot of its easy enough to do yourself
tail lights, side repeaters and headlights can be done yourself - however you need to get the headlights adjusted so a mechanic is needed for this, an MOT station will have the machine for watching the beam.
panel filter is just a case of dropping it in place of the oem one
airbox smoothing - stanley knife chisel or a dremel and some sandpaper is all thats needed
induction kit should be easy enough to fit if you get a set up for your car.
changed plenty of exhausts before there easy enough but WD40 is a must.

would leave the internal engine work and cambelts. electrics arnt to hard on older cars.

not much needed for the computer in the car. youd need
motherboard - mini itx is 17x17cm and use little power , my whole system draws around 40w at full whack inc the screen, to put this into comparision my main computer in the house. its processor draws around 130w on full power. dont be put off by the lower speeds 800mhz is enough for most things, im running 1.6 duel core and yet to see it above 35%
RAM - depends on what your running, i use 1 gb with no issues
Hard disc - up to you how big
Automotive power supply - this takes the 12v variable from the car and converts it to a steady 12v, 5v, 3.3v, and -12v
case to hold it all in.
touchscreen monitor.
and somewhere to mount the screen - i was lucky the bora had a double din anyway so slotted it in there. some cars need a little cutting to get to fit
and some fabricating skills

that will give you the basic computer, software wise im running
a slightly cut down version of windows xp SP3, Mappoint (new version of autoroute) for GPS and Roadrunner for the front end ( this has the music,dvd,games,gps etc all in nice big buttons.
if your serious about it look on
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/ for help and advise. But you must search the site 1st, if you ask a simple question youll simply be told "have you searched? its been asked before". most the guys on there are geniuses on computers but are rather ignorant alot of the time

cheers all and some good advice again there taking it in today for the ford health check they offering free so thought might as well get it done, i know it needs an oil/filter change even though the oil is very clean (a little too clean, worried) and the tracking is slightly out, relly need to give it an mini service and will look to get the haynes manuel (thanks TN69) so i can do this myself. will post later to see if ford find anything major,
oh found some side mirrors with the indicators on so get then on order when i get back

quick note am i best grouping mods, like suspension and alloys/air filter and exhaust/bodykit and mirrors you get the idea. if so wher am i best starting?

once again thanks and happy i've found genuine people who can and will help

Last edited:
its up to u whether you want looks or go 1st.
id say suspension 1st up. If its a mk1 mondeo its getting quite old so might be worth renewing the suspension as it could be well worn if its never been renewed.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back