Mini Moke Modifications

mwdaley

Hi,
I'm new to the whole car thing and modifying. But I'm really interested in starting to learn new things. My dad has bought an old Mini Moke and I have been slowly fixing it up. Nothing on performance, just adjusting the seats, bleeding the brakes, trying to make it roadworthy haha.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or knows what I can do to the engine part of the car, to make it sound better or more efficient or perhaps more powerful if thats possible with a moke... So any help or suggestions are much appreciated

Thanks in advance,

Michael

It is pretty small. I would recommend an engine swap to at least a 1.3. I think that the effort and money that you'd put into a 1.0 engine would more trouble than its worth and you still wouldn't have increased the power by much.

how would i go about getting a 1.3L engine? like, how would i make sure it fits, or should i get a proper mechanic to do it... in that case its no fun :) ohh Im in Australia by the way.

Taking out an engine and replacing it with the same one can be fiddle. Swapping it for a bigger engine can be pretty complex as the wiring needs updating. It all depends on how competent you are. I would research a Mini Cooper engine conversion and see if someone has done it (they must have it seems the obvious choice) and then you need a kit of the parts needed to make the conversion work.

Try to find a mini 1275GT engine and put that in with a good exhaust system and manifold and a pair of 1.25inch SU's. The 1275 motor was the most tuneable 'A' series engine ever to be put in a mini and should be a straight swap for your 998cc lump. The 1275 responds very well to a nice camshaft too. 8)

yeh, i was talking to my dad about it and he said it would interesting work. He said he used to have a mini with a 1275 engine and that he burrowed out the cylinders or something and got it to 1299 haha... but yeh i will have a look around for 1275GT engines. I'll have a look around on the internet and ask at my mates garage if they know how to swap them.

Thank you very much for all your help, I'll will post some pictures of the car soon enough :)

mike