MG ZS 180 Tuning

Mgzs180guy

Anyone have an tips for tuning and moding my hatchback zs other than the usual universal bits although any assistance would be great?

Anyone know where I could get a lower rear valance/splitter from?

The guys to talk to are Moto-Build racing they really helped me out with some parts. They do performance and styling parts.

Piper cams are pretty good - I didn't rate Kent cams. Taking some weight out of the flywheel will make a big difference as the standard flywheels are really heavy. Is you car fitted with a 6 speed gearbox?

Tyres - Goodyear eagle f1's are the business.

Brakes - upgrade to bigger vented and grooved disks with a 6 pot caliper.

Hows that for starters.....

Post the hints up, quite a few people still read this thread so the tips will be handy for other ZS180 owners! ;)

Post the hints up, quite a few people still read this thread so the tips will be handy for other ZS180 owners! ;)

Not wanting to contravene forum rules, but there is alot of tuning info on other MG forums, all I would do is copy some of this across from threads on my other forum I own, or place links here.

What would you prefer? I have no issues posting info on here. I'm aim to please :bigsmile:

If its your content then I'm happy for you to post it here, and actively encourage it (we do have to be careful about copyright you see;)). You're a good contributer so I don't mind you dropping the occasional plug in here.

We don't allow linking to content that requires registration to read though, which I think applies to your forum.

Tuning the KV6 engine is not a cheap process and will not give you masses of horsepower. However you can do a number of modifications that will improve the driving pleasure and still surprise a few people in the process!

The most common tuning components are listed here:

Replace the standard induction system for any one of these three recommended versions:
  • Open cone in inner wing, cheapest.
  • BMC CDA and cold air feed.
  • ITG Maxogen, bespoke kit but expensive.
Then go for replacing your exhaust, a good quality stainless exhaust will improve it a little, mainly looks! For further improvements replace the manifolds for Janspeed or Hayward & Scott, sports cat or decat pipe, a MIL eliminator maybe required.

Change the springs for lowered and uprated ones, sharpens the handling even more! Shop around as some are getting hard to find, Eibach or Moto-Build. Coilover kits are available but expensive.

Quaife do an ATB diff, again a worthy mod but expensive as this requires building properly.

Piper do cam kits for these, expensive but a marked improvement.

A custom ecu is advisable once you get to cams, the standard Siemens ecu can cope with the induction and exhaust changes as it has an ability to learn this level of change.

Going beyond this was a supercharger kit, but this is a sore subject on many forums and there are only 1 or 2 still running with little issues but have undergone alot of development and those that have done this are in no position to want to share the findings. Turbo charging is impossible as there is no room in the engine bay for this.

Final action would be to carry out an engine transplant, Reyland offer a VAG 20vT conversion and this looks like an awesome package.

I'll pop back in later and add to this before I get timed out!

Tuning the KV6 engine is not a cheap process and will not give you masses of horsepower. However you can do a number of modifications that will improve the driving pleasure and still surprise a few people in the process!

Replace the standard induction system for any one of these three recommended versions:
Then go for replacing your exhaust, a good quality stainless exhaust will improve it a little, mainly looks! For further improvements replace the manifolds for Janspeed or Hayward & Scott, sports cat or decat pipe, a MIL eliminator maybe required.

Change the springs for lowered and uprated ones, sharpens the handling even more! Shop around as some are getting hard to find, Eibach or Moto-Build. Coilover kits are available but expensive.

Quaife do an ATB diff, again a worthy mod but expensive as this requires building properly.

A custom ecu is advisable once you get to cams, the standard Siemens ecu can cope with the induction and exhaust changes as it has an ability to learn this level of change.

Going beyond this was a supercharger kit, but this is a sore subject on many forums and there are only 1 or 2 still running with little issues but have undergone alot of development and those that have done this are in no position to want to share the findings. Turbo charging is impossible as there is no room in the engine bay for this.

Final action would be to carry out an engine transplant, Reyland offer a VAG 20vT conversion and this looks like an awesome package.

Not sure on the details, isn't there some sort of air intake mod? Something about the inner wing or something?

Haven't got a KV6, just this niggle won't go away about the info!!

Cheers
Dave

Sorry for jumping into an old thread but has anyone turbo charged this engine yet.
I agree there is very little space in the engine bay but at the moment I am turbo charging this engine. I have relocated the battery to the boot and removed the battery tray.
This has given me plenty of room to mount the turbo.

I'm trying to find out if anyone has done this already.
I have wired in a piggy computer and tested various additions and removal of fuel.
I will be running low boost but I should still be able to run good power (I hope).
The manifold is almost finished using a crossover pipe with an up pipe to the turbo then returning back to the dump. oil and water lines are still to be run but I have that almost sorted. I still have a shopping list of tasks to do but i feel it will be worth it.

Using lower compression in the engine via a stroker kit/low comp pistons/different head you should be able to run more boost. I don't know of anyone whos done this on your engine though. Motobuild racing did a 1.8VVT turbo conversion which was a monster, but it took an awful lot of sorting.

Why are you going Turbo? Have you looked into superchargers?

To be honest if the super charger kit for this engine was readily available i would have defo considered it. my first look was a centrifugal supercharger but there's no space at all near the belt area so that was quickly ruled out. My plan is low boost on the original setup but I'll be looking for another kv6 engine to do low compression pistons etc on which will again be turbo charged. doing the numbers with correct size injectors I could be looking at around 350bhp at 8psi of boost. I have purchased a GT35 after doing the numbers to see what i needed. I didn't think I would need such a monster sized turbo but there you go you can't argue with the numbers. I have a test fit to do tomorrow on the final changes to the exhaust and manifold. I'm looking at the rover tomcat injectors which seem to run around 380 - 390cc

That makes sense to me.

Keep us posted with how you get on, I had a 220GTi with the TomCat engine quite a few years back! It really shifted but wasn't the most reliable of cars Iv'e owned.

That makes sense to me.

Keep us posted with how you get on, I had a 220GTi with the TomCat engine quite a few years back! It really shifted but wasn't the most reliable of cars Iv'e owned.
----------------------------------------------

yeah its going along nicely. my problem is its a daily driver that only gets worked on at the weekend. oil lines were completed yesterday. i had to make a change to the manifold so that's held me up a little. water lines will be run this weekend and dump pipe next week.

Can't say I've seen a successful turbo conversion due to the lack of space. Supercharging has worked but not always 100% successful. There has been the odd couple that have persevered but has been a costly learning curve. There was the first one using an Easton supercharger on a 2.0 KV6 if I recall, the common ones being Sprintex. Common conversion is the old trusty T16. I will read the work with interest.|B

yeah I looked at the super charger option and decided there were too many destroyed engines.
I have cleared more than enough space in the engine bay to mount the turbo where the battery used to be. I've used an ajoining/uppipe from a crossover between two manifolds.
I have no doubt I have enough room now. The computer is now mounted to the body of the car and the battery in the boot. factory air box and resonator were removed a while back and replaced with silicone hoses mounted in the wing with an air filter. It's going to be tight underneath the car for the 3" dump pipe but I'm sure it will fit. Aftermarket piggy back computer in place and functioning fine. I need to order bigger injectors and I will probably replace the fuel pump. Oil and water lines are in place with caps to block them off until the turbo sits in place.

Thanks for your comments on the supercharger. I would love to have went that road it would have been a nice simple installation.

Can I ask......... Do any of you have good experience sourcing and installing uprated large injectors? I'm almost done with the exhaust work and moving onto the fuelling but need larger injectors. I've got two sets i'm looking at. A set of holley PART# 522-421 42lbs/hr flow and Fiveo F87EUS450 - 42lbs / hr. the holley are cheeper but i'm not sure if they will fit due to their shape. I don't have the option of buying a couple of used spares to test fit since their doesn't seem to be such a thing. Anyone any words of wisdom.

Well since nobody gave any advice :) i bought 2 sets of 4 fuel injectors from an old Volvo with 337cc of flow (Green Top). I now have to hope they fit alright. I couldn't justify spending around £400 for injectors i had no idea if they would fit. i bought 2 sets of the Volvo ones for around £120.
The lack of space in the engine bay of this car is presenting some annoying challenges. the exhaust has been changed around 5 times.

I must admit it's been a hard slog and nearly in tears once or twice.
I've replaced the whole exhaust now instead of just the manifolds.
I've got quite a big leak at the front just now so making virtually no boost.
i'm going away for the weekend and when i get back I'm replacing a section at the front which WILL fix it :)
I've still got a billet flywheel and borg and beck clutch to fit but that will be a task for over christmas.