Meguires car cleaning products - Are they any good?

Car
Skoda Fabia vRS
Hi

I have used Autoglym products on my last 2 cars and had very good results. It may take a lot of work to get a perfect shine but it's worth it.

But the other day I was recommended Maguires products as they are supposed to be much easier to use and produce an even better shine than Autoglym.

Does anyone on here use Maguires? Is it any good? If so does anyone have any tips for the best products to use.

Meguiars have a great range of products, ranging from the most basic hand applicated products, to the new random orbital detailing machine (Ultimate Detailing Machine as they have branded it) for which they produce foam pads and complicated polishing compounds etc.

From my experience, I would stay clear of most of their towels (drying towels, microfibers) as they are over priced and out performed by cheaper alternatives - but I would reccomend their clay bar kits, and amazing tyre treatment, which is great for exterior plastics and rubber too.

Some products are available in Halfords etc, there are lots more available from online retailers.

Ye ive seen the different types of microfibre cloths and towels and I agree they are way overpriced for what they are. I was thinking of doing the following to get the car perfect but i'm not sure how good these products are. see what you think and add any suggestions:

1: Wash the car with car shampoo
2: Use Quik Clay Detailing System
3: Use STEP 2 – Deep Crystal Polish
Finally 4: Use the NXT Tech wax

Yes, as a technique you have the order correct, however, finishing touches such as tyre gel and any black plastics can make alllllllll the difference.

I swear by the NXT tech wax. I gives a deep shine and helps conceal the swirls and scratches. Have you read the articles in the main site on polishing and washing a car? See articles/car care to find them. ;)

Budget? Are we talking hand or machine work?

All the polishing will be done by hand. As for budget as long as its not stupid money i'll condiser it. Also I heared the other day that you shouldnt use a sponge to clean a car? Is this true? If so what should i use instead?

Hey man, looking at those photo's in the second article was crazy, I forgot how good I was once! I sold off all of my tools when I sold the Sax. Taking cleaning your car that seriously really takes so much time, effort and money. Future projects will be more performance based!

Great articles though, well worth reading if you want to get to grips with the basics.

Oh, and Autoglym Super Resin Polish would be a very good starting point for hand polishing and is easy to get hold of - most good Halfords stock this product.

Last edited by a moderator: