Making my car faster?

br4dley

Car
Audi A3 Petrol 1.6l
Hi guys,

I'll start off by saying I know next to nothing about cars. I've recently upgraded from a 1.0 litre Corsa to a Audi A3 1.6l Petrol (04 plate) and I'm loving the car so far.

I was wondering if there's any relatively cheap way to give it a bit more power, I've read up a little on chip tuning but this seems to be more aimed at cars with turbos? My friend also said I should get a new air filter but I was unsure on a good manufacturer to buy from.

Again, sorry if any of this sounds silly, although I've tried do some research myself my lack of knowledge is severely limiting. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Also this is a x-post, I posted in the audi sub originally then noticed nobody has posted in there for nearly 1 year.

Cheers,
B

We decided to focus on our general forums as we have such a wide and diverse spread of car owners. Some of the model specific forums are well supported but this will improve over time as we grow.

I've posted this reply to both threads as it will be of use to people using either of our forums, and thank you for the question.

You'll need to spend some major money to get a noticable power hike on the 1.6.

Fast road cams give the biggest gains, plus flowing and porting the head. But in reality you could probably source a 1.8T engine from a breakers yard and fit that for less money than doing all of this and you'll see an extra 100bhp just like that or plenty more if tuned up!

You could focus on handling mods, does yours have the Sline suspension?

Most mods will only give you a few more BHP which you won't really notice in driving. I started this site because I was disappointed with pretty much every mod I tried and there was noone out there giving honest advice without trying to sell you something.

Oh btw an induction kit or air filter will sadly make very little difference to your cars power.

You will very an induction road with the former but that is not to everyone's taste.

My response was removed ? A small shot of Nitrous (wet system) will do no damage unless the engine is already damaged. I have added a single Pro Fogger nozzle to an otherwise stock engine multiple times and had great results when common sense directed my power level selection.

My response was removed ? A small shot of Nitrous (wet system) will do no damage unless the engine is already damaged. I have added a single Pro Fogger nozzle to an otherwise stock engine multiple times and had great results when common sense directed my power level selection.
There were no admit edits I can see here. Perhaps it didn't post correctly. Let me know if you get these posts not appearing issues again and I'll investigate further for you (webmaster@ this site is the direct email address.)

When I said not for long I didn't mean in terms of engine longevity but rather in terms of the how long until the nitrous cylinder is depleted.

Engines are generally pretty robust.

First of all - you have to remapp your ecu. Every fabric-made engine has stock map and as we all know - there is no two the same engines. When you'll find proper workshop to perform good mapping, power and torque in your engine will increase and fuel consumption will be reduced. Try it first!