Made any mistakes with your car

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Have you made any mistakes with your car? Bad modification choices, dubious decisions on where to park it or which pedal to press?

Hopefully we can learn from your mistakes.

I crashed a car by fiddling with the radio!

I also wasted £1,000's on modifying car that just kept breaking down and wasn't actually that much better after the mods.

Loads! But mercifully I have the funds for all of my mistakes to be turned around without them hurting the wallet or my eyesight ;)

Made lots of mistakes and that includes buying certain car's in the first place. A Lancia Thema springs to mind, anything electrical that could go wrong did and the gearbox letting go was the final straw.

It seems like loads of us see mistakes as a positive thing and not an excuse to give up and go back to bed! That's good!

wanted to fix an issue where the rear water sprinkler was clogged and i wasnt able to wash the rear window when needed , in order to try and fix it i took apart part inside the car in order to access the pipe that provides the water , due to my lack of experience in my car brand i ended up braking some parts when removing and when putting back and in the end i failed to fix the issue .. shouldnt have touched it in the first place with my limited knowledge

The biggest mistake I probably make, or used to make (after learning from that one!) was to go into a job or task thinking it'll be a piece of cake.........................several hours later, a fair amount of profanity, tools flying everywhere.................you have made very little progress and wished you had never started it! I'm sure I am not alone...........

Exhaust on my R36 Passat years back was about the worse mistake I made. DRONE was an understatement. It only stayed on there 4 days before I couldn't hack it anymore and went back to stock. Total waste of time and money.

I am trying to think if I remember this one Rob, was the exhaust from AMD?

Nah, this was custom made as nobody made one for it. I bought mine in 2009 not long after they came out. The guys I sent it to, worked wonders on my Passat W8 exhaust (rare car, no off the shelf system either) but they just couldn't make the R36 sound right unfortunately :(

Nah, this was custom made as nobody made one for it. I bought mine in 2009 not long after they came out. The guys I sent it to, worked wonders on my Passat W8 exhaust (rare car, no off the shelf system either) but they just couldn't make the R36 sound right unfortunately :(

Cheers Rob, must have been thinking of someone else then. I thought it was you who had a Milltek exhaust system fitted at AMD in Essex.

Cheers Rob, must have been thinking of someone else then. I thought it was you who had a Milltek exhaust system fitted at AMD in Essex.

That defiantly wouldn't be me, I've never been up to AMD. Mostly I get mechanical stuff fitted by garages owned by customers. Always good to do reciprocal business :)

Changing the 195 tyres on my Clio 172 to the 205s used by the 182. It never seemed quite as quick after.

Well, they will be heavier for a start and if the aspect ratio was the same the diameter would be greater. Both of these changes would contribute to slower acceleration.

last weekend whilst trying to drill out the ignition barrel on my merc it seems I have drilled too far and turned a £10 fix into a $$$$$$ fix