lowering a 406 coupe

rockape

Tuner
Car
peugeot 406 coupe
Picture082.jpg

i've just fitted these dare v2's 215x45x17. am i ok to just fit a lowering spring kit, was thinking of 40mm, if not is there anything else that needs to be done along with the springs.
any help would be really appreciated tia dave.:confused:

Car looks stunning though mate - you can be proud of that. Springs and dampers should be fitted as pairs. Get an adjustable kit. 40mm is going to put your car pretty low to the ground I normally recommend 30-35mm for most cars. It looks like the fronts are lower than the rears - it could be a sagging with age thing with the weight of the engine.

thanks for the reply mate. the coupe's rear does sit quite high and the front lower, i've known owners to lower 40mm front and 50mm rear to even it up. i'd be quite happy with 30mm so the 17's didn't look so small.
would you advise against just a spring kit then.

you can get a spring kit to begin with. then when funds allow you can get the dampners.

the springs on there on will eventually knacker the standard dampners over time.

looks like springs on there own aint a good idea then, not if you going to have to renew the dampers later on .

a coilover kit is your best bet as you can set it up how you want. downside is its a bit more pricey. you can be looking at around £500 for a decent set

It also depends on whether you've got the budget to buy the coilovers in the first place. Save up and get a decent kit and generally, you don't need to replace the suspension again (unless of course you drive the car aggressively like on a track etc.) Try looking at www.pugperformance.com or www.europerformance.com They usually have good deals on kits and you can ask for 'best price'.

Don't lower the car stupidly though as you will lose all handling capabilities and the car will feel more like a skip than a coup.

Fair enough, thats definitely a sensible idea. At 25mm Lower the car will definitely handle better but will still retain comfort for when you don't want to drive like a maniac lol.:toung:

had a look at www. europerformance.co.uk the weitec suspension kit isn't to bad a price at
£360 odd but lowers 40mm the koni 35mm but £500 odd :confused:

Yes prince is right - you do get what you pay for. If the £360 ones ruin the handling you will certainly be very miffed.

Ask europerformance if you get a discount being a TorqueCars member - let us know how you get on and if they discount we'll give them a plug in our member offer pages.

If they don't give you a discount for being on here, drop my name or drop the name CovCustoms, should sort it out for you then. Also, ask for Paddy, he's the bloke you want to talk to.:)

Yes, I agree with Wayne, the Koni's are much better than Weitec, they have a much better and proven history for performance suspension.

You can ring Koni directly and ask about custom make up's, or just ask what they are willing to supply for you. I think the best bet is to look around and play a couple of the big internet shops off against each other, tell say Direct Car Parts that Europerformance will do the kit for 324.99 and then tell Europerformance that Direct car parts will do it for £319.00. Then see what they come up with.

Thats what I do and most of the time they will give you the parts at close to cost price. HTH.:)

Last edited:
done a lot of searching on different makes of kit, will more than likely be the koni, all the other kits are 40mm or more, dont want anymore than 30mm really,as suggested by wayne and s few of the lads on the 406 coupe forum 30/35mm is the optimum for looks and ride practicality :bigsmile:

Yeah, sounds sensible to me. Obviously if you were just using it as a track car then knock yourself out and go for the 40mm but as its an everyday car then yes, the 30mm is your best bet.

Hope you get it sorted. Send us some pictures once its done.:)