Low power cars in outside lane

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Should low power cars be prevented from using the outside lane on motorways?

I've lost count of the time i've been stuck behind a 1.0 trying to overtake a lorry and taking ages to do it!

I can feel your frustration! here we have 18 wheeler trucks and three wheelers hogging the fast lane! you will not believe the amount of aggro this causes! makes even a sober person take needless risks by overtaking these road hogs on the wrong side, very common on our roads, and getting worse by the day.

Asumming trucks are restricted to 60mph (ish) in the UK, all 1.0 cars here can reach 70mph (I think) so the power of the vehicle shouldn't be the problem. Maybe it is your impatience at being stopped from exceeding the speed limit :)

I agree with IM, what niggles me is a truck doing 60 being overtaken by one doing 60.5.

not so much low power but those who side doing 60 on a motorway or dual carriageway passing wagons

Agreed. If you want to pass then get on with it. Applies everywhere, Mways, duals, singles etc. If you have 11 minutes to spare during your passing move then clearly you might as well have sat back anyway.

I agree with IM, what niggles me is a truck doing 60 being overtaken by one doing 60.5.

Aye, and there's a guy wants to import a HGV that basically consists of one tractor unit and 2 trailers.

Imagine the hold ups that will cause!

Fortunately, it's not legal on our roads, so when his company tried to test drive it they got nicked.

Asumming trucks are restricted to 60mph (ish) in the UK, all 1.0 cars here can reach 70mph (I think) so the power of the vehicle shouldn't be the problem. Maybe it is your impatience at being stopped from exceeding the speed limit :)

I never go over 70 anyway - i'm too speed camera paranoid :toung:!

The problem is when these underpowered cars hit a hill and the speed drops down to 50 and they are stuck in the outside lane.

There is a really severe hill out of Dover on the M20 on which only a more powerful cars can maintain 70 all the way up.

Funny reading this here - I've said this to my girlfriend many times when stuff has been winding me up!! I came up with a rule that the outside lane should be for cars that are at least 100bhp/tonne =D

Funny reading this here - I've said this to my girlfriend many times when stuff has been winding me up!! I came up with a rule that the outside lane should be for cars that are at least 100bhp/tonne =D

That's fine for you, and would have been fine for me in the 406 but I'm knackered in the little Seat then.

I would make it mandatory not to hold back HGVs in the left lane thus forcing them all into the middle one. (Dad - take note here - there's no need to go at 54mph on the M40)

Aye, and there's a guy wants to import a HGV that basically consists of one tractor unit and 2 trailers.

Imagine the hold ups that will cause!

Fortunately, it's not legal on our roads, so when his company tried to test drive it they got nicked.

i remember that, it was as soon as he left the yard it was pulled.
it is legal but has be be under a certain length, this allows for the smaller wag and drags, but what he had done was 2 40ft units connected to the unit and i dont think it was imported