low oil pressure

advinne

Car
vw beetle
Hi all this is my first post so please be kind. Right i have a 1969 1500 vw beetle which had no oil pressure problems. Then i turned it into a 1600 twin port i have change the fan shroud and put in the larger cooling fan and replaced the single port oil cooler with a twin port cooler. But now after about ten minutes on tick over the oil pressure light comes on but if i increase the idle the light goes out but only for a few minutes then it comes back on and so on. But if i rev the engine the light goes off. the light only comes on at tick over not at any other engine speed. so far i have removed the oil pump reconditioned it and replaced it ive also replaced the oil pressure switch and the oil relief pressure spring and piston ( the replacement pressure spring is a high pressure spring to increase oil pressure) but nothing has help. The oil is not overheating and thinning out so i know the cooling system is working this problem has nothing to do with the oil getting to hot. The oil im using is part synthetic 15w/40 is this right please help many thanks advinnie

Was the 1500cc engine rebored or are we talking about an engine swap here?

Have you tried a full flush and drain of the oil with a NEW oil filter?

Where is the oil pressure gauge located in your engine?

No the engine was not rebored on a old vw beetles you just fit cylinders with a thinner walls fit larger pistons and slightly bigger heads you can if you want even fit the heads from a 1500 onto a 1600 engine. old beetles do not have an oil filter and the pressure gauge (pressure switch) is located before the oil cooler the pressure relief valve is next to the oil pump

have you replaced the oil pump? they's only about £30, plus I would be inclined to use thicker oil in an air cooled engine remember the fan only spins at engine speed, so at tick over the engine could be getting quite hot, have you tried retarding the timing a little?