List an engine configuration

Straight 8 (don't think this has been mentioned before). Came in side-valve, OHV and OHC configurations.

Update - Just noticed that Stamford beat me to it, but at least I expanded on it :)

Last edited:
What about the beast that featured in the children's classic 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang'.

Someone told me it was two straight eights end to end and that it did really shift.

Dont they join 2 engines together along the crank quite a lot? The Veyron is a joined twin V engine if I've read that right?

Are Rotary engines multiple combustion chambers (Cylinder?!?!?) or is it just one chamber around a crank.

Dont they join 2 engines together along the crank quite a lot? The Veyron is a joined twin V engine if I've read that right?

Are Rotary engines multiple combustion chambers (Cylinder?!?!?) or is it just one chamber around a crank.

Sort of yes the Veyron is a W16. Rotary engine are very complex. I can't explain this one so i'll leave it to someone who will make sense.

Sort of yes the Veyron is a W16. Rotary engine are very complex. I can't explain this one so i'll leave it to someone who will make sense.

OMFG as if I just spent 20 mins writing out a long explanation and firefox crashed!!! :blink::confused::sad2:

Ok in brief. Triangular rotor inside oval (ish) housing. Rotor has blades/tips at each point called apex seals, which seal each chamber from the other (these are what wear first usually, causing the occassional rebuilding of RX-7s). Rotor has 3 convex faces which have room for the air/fuel mix.

Rotor spins around housing creating 3 chambers (between the rotor face and the wall of the housing). Volume of each chamber changes as the rotor spins, drawing air/fuel into the chamber. This is compressed as it moves to the spark plugs and then combusted to create pressure and force the rotor to move. Rotor passess exhaust and the gases are free to flow out.

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong or feel free to add. Also note that there are no valves and no camshaft as such (but a simular device) and most rotary engines have two spark plugs to ensure combustion is quick enough to occur before the rotor moves the mixture away.

Last edited:
34 listed so far.

Flat Four Boxer - Impreza
20v inline 4 DOHC - VAG group 1.8T
V12 2xDOHC - Lamborghini Murcielago
fiat 5 cylinder 20 valve
alfa flat 4, 8 valve
porsche flat 6
Inline 4 cylinder Turbo. DOHC. With distribitor. Rover Ti.
Inline 4 cylinder Turbo. DOHC Wasted spark ignition. Rover Ti.
Narrow angle V5 and V6 - VAG
Inline 5 (Audi initially, Volvo uses this still)
W8 and W12 (VAG)
Flat twin (Citroen 2CV)
V4 (Saab and Ford Corsair)
Inline 6 (classic format, perfect balance - BMW inline 6's are silky)
VAG W16 bugattiinline 4 12v OHC
U 16 Bugatti type 45.
V8 OHC
RR's ancient 6750cc V8 was a pushrod motor.
W4NKEL rotary
renesis rotary
2 cylinder 2stroke (Trabant)
3 cylinder (VW Polo of today diesel & Daihatsu)
straight 8 Came in side-valve, OHV and OHC configurations.
H16
V10 (Viper)
Sidevalve
Deltic!
3 cylinder Polo TDi
Ford Essex V4
lancia 1800cc twin charged
1.8 vvtLi with its lift cams
Volkswagens Twincharger TSI engine.
Single cylinder

(I've hopefully removed the doubles.) Wow it's quite a lot although I think there are some multiple engine configurations listed that are technically too similar to be counted as different engines and the Deltic crept in as well;).

This has been quite an interesting thread. If we have missed any engines out then mention them here.

I think we should add Malcs 2 stroke disel engine as well whilst we are at it.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pushrod V6 OHV- Ford Cologne (2.3, 2.4, 2.8 and 2.9)
Pushrod V8 OHV - 6750cc RR classic

Can we also include flat plane and cross plane crank variants of certain V8 engines or is this too granular?

Last edited:
34 listed so far.

Flat Four Boxer - Impreza
20v inline 4 DOHC - VAG group 1.8T
V12 2xDOHC - Lamborghini Murcielago
fiat 5 cylinder 20 valve
citroen flat 2 (2cv)
alfa flat 4, 8 valve
porsche flat 6
Inline 4 cylinder Turbo. DOHC. With distribitor. Rover Ti.
Inline 4 cylinder Turbo. DOHC Wasted spark ignition. Rover Ti.
Narrow angle V5 and V6 - VAG
Inline 5 (Audi initially, Volvo uses this still)
W8 and W12 (VAG)
Flat twin (Citroen 2CV)
V4 (Saab and Ford Corsair)
Inline 6 (classic format, perfect balance - BMW inline 6's are silky)
VAG W16 bugattiinline 4 12v OHC
U 16 Bugatti type 45.
V8 OHC
RR's ancient 6750cc V8 was a pushrod motor.
W4NKEL rotary
renesis rotary
2 cylinder 2stroke (Trabant)
3 cylinder (VW Polo of today diesel & Daihatsu)
straight 8 Came in side-valve, OHV and OHC configurations.
H16
V10 (Viper)
Sidevalve
Deltic!
3 cylinder Polo TDi
Ford Essex V4
lancia 1800cc twin charged
1.8 vvtLi with its lift cams
Volkswagens Twincharger TSI engine.
Single cylinder

(I've hopefully removed the doubles.) Wow it's quite a lot although I think there are some multiple engine configurations listed that are technically too similar to be counted as different engines and the Deltic crept in as well;).

This has been quite an interesting thread. If we have missed any engines out then mention them here.

I think we should add Malcs 2 stroke disel engine as well whilst we are at it.;)
You missed one