Torque Cars

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

LED bulbs in the fogs

Discussion in 'Car Styling' started by Yugguy, 28 December 2016.

1. Yugguy

Yugguy Torque King

Rugby (expat Preston lad)
    Car:
    Merc C220Cdi Elegan
    Did this a couple of weeks back.

The car has convenience lighting that shines the sides and fogs for a minute when you unlock/stop the car at night.

I'd done the sides with LEDs ages ago and the fogs were looking yellowish in comparison.

So I bought H11 80w leds and resistors and swapped them out.

Took off the wheel to give me room, then removing 4 trim poppers and a self-tapping screw let me pull the wheel arch liner back enough to get to the bulbs.

Attached are pics of one done, with the other to compare. Both done. Night-time view of convenience lighting.

Attached Files:

MichaelRivera and Lunchmoney like this.
  2. Lockstock

Lockstock Grease Monkey

Chesterfield U.K.
    Car:
    Audi A4 2.0 Tdi
    Hey TK.
    I've got A4 b7 & put HIDs in the headlights, I am really happy with the colour the projection, so I have bought a set for my main beam.....These are in units that are not designed for HIDs.....as a result the main beam-I'm not too happy with.
    As they project-it's a circle shape and doesn't seem to project a light that 'floods' the area, not like I was expecting.
    Do you know from this description whether this is what I'm expected to get or would you from your experience say that I've not positioned the bulbs correctly. I have as far as I can tell sat the bulbs with the return bar to the bottom as the rear of the lenses has a cut-away part for the bar to sit in. Can you help shed some light on this? (No pun intended)!
    Regards
    Lockstock

3. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    ^^ I would suggest that you make sure the lamps are seated properly in the carrier, then I would pop along to a garage/MOT centre and have the light units realigned so that the light is actually directed at the road; this should only cost you a few pounds or so to do.

4. Yugguy

Yugguy Torque King

Rugby (expat Preston lad)
    Car:
    Merc C220Cdi Elegan
    Hello. Basically HIDs in none-projector lens housings that are not designed for them are never very good, I wouldn't bother. I have heard you can get adapters but to be honest for a main beam I would ditch the hids and put some osram nightbreaker or extreme bulbs in.

5. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    You have a point there Guy, after all, how often do you use your Main beams except for a little dark country lane driving and to flash someone.