Just bought another Cosworth :-)

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
After a lot of humming and harring, and a fair bit of haggling, I have just bought a Ford Sapphire Cosworth.

2WD, 457bhp, Quaife ATB diff, leather interior, Morette headlamp conversion. I will upload some photos when I get it home.

Congratulations! :)
No need to ask anything I guess...You'll tell us anyway, just don't skip much! :)

Nice but does the car know what it's in for? The poor thing, another one bites the dust :lol: I'd like to see your pics.

I just dont get this " honourable" crap.

The notion that one shoud never break a running car on principle is simply ridiculous.

If thats the only way its economic to buy the parts that your car needs then do people seriously expect anyone to pay more and buy the bits seperately.

The idea has no sensible basis.

I just dont get this " honourable" crap.

The notion that one shoud never break a running car on principle is simply ridiculous.

If thats the only way its economic to buy the parts that your car needs then do people seriously expect anyone to pay more and buy the bits seperately.

The idea has no sensible basis.

Good Lord! :amazed: I assume that tirade was directed at me sleeper as the word "Honourable" only appeared in my post? I think you have got the wrong end of the stick here mate and amazingly this inaccuracy has been reached and deduced through barely one sentence posted! :blink:

I am fully aware that OG needs to fund the continuing creation of that monster drag car of his and that breaking these cars is just one of the ways in which he can continue to do so. I am also fully aware that there are proud owners of these glorious Ford Icons, who desperately need these parts to keep their chariots on the road due to the rarity of good quality parts.

I for one intend to be first in-line for tickets when OG's beloved drag car finally goes to make it's debut on track.

At reading OG's original post of the purchase of the Sapphire Cosworth, the romantic in me, hoped to see an announcement rebuild project of the car to it's former glory by Essex's most fastidious car builder; the realist in me however, knew that this was merely going to be the creation of more funds for OG's project!

There was and never has been anything other than the greatest of respect and admiration directed at OG from myself for his project; the original one sentence in my last post was meant only with jest; which OG picked up on straight away (note his reply!)

I hope this has come across a little better now for you Sleeper, and cleared up any misunderstanding! ;)

sorry T9 it wasnt directed at you personally - honourable after all was in italics

In fact I was taking issue with everyone who thinks that breaking a running car isnt right . And there was more than one post suggesting this and the same has been repeated in other threads

Honourable does mean doing the right thing so it is difficult for me to take your post of "Hopefully OG's intentions are strictly honourable this time" any other way because
I always take things literally

The thing is when seriously modding cars not all of us are able to always use new parts and pay someone to carry out all the work .
Often £££s mean many have to do the mods themselves and use second hand parts By definition this means breaking other cars.

Please note I am not saying the first option is in any way a lesser option and it really isnt a slur on those who can afford to go this happy route.[/U

But when you cant it requires a different outlook .

Tbh I think you hsould buy up and kill as many Saphs as possible so the engines and drivetrains can go into better looking and cooler cars :D

Funny you should ask that, look what I came across earlier lol....

web15.jpg

:lol: While on subject-ish, do you know how Rod is getting on with his cosworth OG?

I asked Rod about progess on his car and flywheel weights and he replied thus:

Been a long time have not had that Topspeed run yet but the car has been used on the road for over a year, all 800bhp & 42psi of boost performance its crazy. Decided to have the engine checked over after 6k miles because of a slight noise. No's 1 & 4 big end shells were showing signs of wear the thrust loading is too great at high revs & the oil pressure cant cope. Decided to bite the bullet & go dry sump so its off the road for a while.
I fitted a Fidanza light weight flywheel to mine it was horrible, making the car difficult to get off the line. I now run a slightly lightened standard weight one & its fine.

As my flywheel weighs 8.5Kg and a standard one around 13kg, I have decided to stick with what I have.

Good news OG, that's another problem dealt with then ;)
As for MadRod - 800bhp and 42psi boost on the road for a year :amazed: he's my kind of car nut, it's just mental & fantastic and all at the same time! are you sure you two are not related in anyway? :)

Picked up car last night. Got about a mile before it died! Seller came out and we jumped it and left it running for 10 minutes. Car hadn't been used for 3 years and I reckon the battery has had it. Drove home on sidelights following daughter in the Chevy.

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1234&stc=1&d=1319026600

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1235&stc=1&d=1319026964

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1236&stc=1&d=1319026964

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1237&stc=1&d=1319026964

Attachments

• sec sierra (4) mod.jpg
    sec sierra (4) mod.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 18
  • sec sierra (5) mod.jpg
    sec sierra (5) mod.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 13
  • sec sierra (8).jpg
    sec sierra (8).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 11
  • sec sierra (10).jpg
    sec sierra (10).jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 11
Yes it is, but instead of 20 feet try 50 :)

29 years of work and still not finished! (a bit like the car).

Died on me again today.

Picked up son from work last night, no problem. Took him to work this morning and the car just died on the way home. Dash still lit up but dimmed when trying to start. No starter action or noise. Mobile phone was dead! but found a helpful homeowner so was able to call the wife. We jump started it ok but only managed 1/2 mile before is died again. Towed it home.

Car has sat for 3 years with battery connected so I suspect that it is U/S. I charged it yesterday but the batter charger 'charged' light never came on.

I will take it out and get it checked but guessing a new one is required.

Now that the charging problem has been sorted (blown dashboard battery bulb!) I can use the car. Based on the power to weight ratio this is the fastest car I have owned - Sim software reckons 12.58 1/4 mile which seems about right. Managed a best of 12.92 in the Elan back in 1985.

Now that the charging problem has been sorted (blown dashboard battery bulb!) I can use the car. Based on the power to weight ratio this is the fastest car I have owned - Sim software reckons 12.58 1/4 mile which seems about right. Managed a best of 12.92 in the Elan back in 1985.

Thats a common problem OG the alternator wont charge without the light & so when it blows you dont know a very Cosworth idea :lol:.

For the peeps knocking the rwd Sapphire it handles far better than the 3 door & has non of the pufter 4X4 traits ;).