Is ricer a racist or derogatory term when applied to cars

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on the term RICER when applied to cars?

Do you feel that it is racist or derogatory? Does it depend on the context in which it's used?

Should we ban this term on here or shall we live with it as part of everyday language?

I dunno.

I think these days we are too quick to find offence everywhere.

It depends on how it is used. I'd say "ricer vs muscle?" as it's quicker and easier than saying "smaller, forced induction or high-revving engines vs larger displacement engines, usually V8?", and NOT because I wanted to insult Japanese people.

Some people might use it derogotarily maybe but then they're the same people who would use any word in a bad way.

It is certainly not a term of endearment :) but it's much better than the term we used 30 years ago - Jap Crap.

I don't like the term, especially with the associated wording that accompanied it on the other thread which is why I think the Japanese enthusiasts took offence. I wouldn't personally use Ricer to describe a car from the far east but it doesn't bother me to much either as I'm from the era of "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" so basically I don't rise to it, I'll just ignore the comment and deliverer of said comment.

Golly -Gee, I guess my first Amendment Right is Dead and Gone! :D And I continue to NOT allow RICE to be part of my MAIN diet!! |B

Old saying: It is better to walk alone than to walk with those going the wrong direction!

It's actually a discussion we had a long time ago and I felt it was time to see the general feel towards it in recent times.

It's actually a discussion we had a long time ago and I felt it was time to see the general feel towards it in recent times.

Banning words is like having locks for your personal property. Only those with the key can decide whether or not to open them. Webster (a Englishman) did not believe in locks. |B

In 1941 Churchill and Roosevelt didn't give two hoots about political correctness. They said and did what was necessary to insure the survival of our countries. Today the world with all this P/C being micro managed can and possibly will fall to those 1% who currently want 100% control of it! :( But it is now in the hands of the younger generation to decide to stay asleep or wake up to the reality of the non politically correct world about them.:confused:

An Interesting and impassioned debate!

I think that our general forum rule "if you don't have anything nice to say then keep quiet" will apply to our use of phrases like Ricer, YankTank etc.... Context is everything.

I know some people like to argue and wind others up, I know we are all different and have different opinions, others seem to thrive on being nasty trolls. Thankfully we have none of the latter on here, and if we did they would be quickly dealt with in a bid to keep our forums friendly and positive. None of us want a forum that descends into a bitching, whinging, whiney annoying platform for testosterone fuelled fights and my car is bigger/better/faster threads.

Free speech applies but we have to go to the majority view, if people object to certain things we have a duty to edit, amend and remove. People have a right not to hear or see things if they don't want to and I think that's why a lot of people choose our forum, it's friendly!

From this thread I see that most people do not overly mind "ricer" as long as it is not in an inflammatory context so we'll keep the term available for general use. Please feel free to use the report button to bring to the moderators attention any discussions that are going off topic or descending into an argument.

Bear in mind there is a Private Message system on here, if people really want to have a row, or argument then use this platform to do so, we will only intervene if it we have a report of hate/abuse/threat/discrimination!

Last edited:
Context is the key to all of this, banning words arbitrarily achieves nothing.

I am not a fan of political correctness since it's readily possible to be racist in a politically correct manner.

For the record I am vehemently anti-racist!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Conext is the key to all of this, banning words arbitrarily achieves nothing.

I am not a fan of political correctness since it's readily possible to be racist in a politically correct manner.

For the record I am vehemently anti-racist!!

Bravo HDI,
IF? We all were blind, deaf and speechless and ONLY had touch as our main emotion, then the World would be a much better place to be. For touch is the emotion of the heart<B, not the mind or sight or the words sometimes recklessly written or spoken.:(

I think its down to context, too many words are taken out of context and people take it as being derogatory when that is not the intention.

Take Benjamin Cumberbache as an example, he didn't say what he did to be nasty he was trying to emphasise a point but it was taken out of context and instead of focusing on what he was trying to get across he is labelled as a racist.

Well exactly - if you try hard enough you can find offence in ANYTHING.

The word "coloured" puzzles me, I knew it was old fashioned but I'd always thought it was ok to use. I've used it myself without any kind of prejudice attached. I never want to offend anyone but it seems sometimes the words we're "allowed" to use change constantly.