Is diesel the fuel of the future

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What do you think the future holds for diesel fuel?

Will it keep gaining popularity or do you think petrol will overtake it again in terms of efficiency?

Both have reached a high level of excellence now. Diesel will always win the fuel economy race whilst we continue to use units of volume (litres or gallons) as a measure. A litre of diesel contains more energy than a litre of petrol.

But here's the interesting bit: Diesel is significantly denser than petrol. A litre of diesel weighs more than a litre of petrol.

Mass is a better unit since it is absolute (well, for all practical purposes anyway - so we will ignore Einstein's relativity theory).

So if we look at miles per kilogram rather than per litre then things would look much more even and diesel perceived advantage would erode. Especially so if we were charged pence per kilo rather than pence per litre.!!

Both have reached a high level of excellence now. Diesel will always win the fuel economy race whilst we continue to use units of volume (litres or gallons) as a measure. A litre of diesel contains more energy than a litre of petrol.

But here's the interesting bit: Diesel is significantly denser than petrol. A litre of diesel weighs more than a litre of petrol.

Mass is a better unit since it is absolute (well, for all practical purposes anyway - so we will ignore Einstein's relativity theory).

So if we look at miles per kilogram rather than per litre then things would look much more even and diesel perceived advantage would erode. Especially so if we were charged pence per kilo rather than pence per litre.!!

Stop giving the tax man ideas :blink: :(

One thing is for sure, it wont be electric cars.

I think diesels still have a long way to go. Perhaps will start to make more sense than petrol.

I think diesel is right up there with the best of petrol for muscular performance and refinement. It's the long term running costs that still worry me slightly

I am more worried about poor maintenance by mis-informed owners. Incorrect oils will cause DPF poisoning; Turbochargers are also a weak point if poor oil is used.

Many owners think diesel engines are crude. Yes, they were, even just 15 years ago. Not now.

If I was buying new it would be diesel without question.

But I needed a car urgently in 2010. Budget was limited. hence choice of BMW straight six petrol engine. Largely indestructible and very durable. Would prefer a 530d over my 528i any day of any week tho

Kind've why I wanted one. I'm happy (finally) with mine for the moment now anyway. The remap made a large difference to the driving enjoyment I have to say. Once I slap a bigger intercooler on it and remove the DPF I imagine it'll be fairly rapid in it's own right

I used to be a hot hatch petrol person but these days I can't be bothered revving the nuts off a car to get going. And I can't be bothered with the woeful mpg that comes with a large or turboed torquey petrol engine.

So powerful diesel makes a lot of sense.

as much as I love the sound of petrol engines being rev`d I dont like the idea of £75 for 200 miles before empty. Diesels should be able to x 3.

as much as I love the sound of petrol engines being rev`d I dont like the idea of £75 for 200 miles before empty. Diesels should be able to x 3.

You only get 200 miles from £75 quid? Something wrong with your car mate.

I can do 200 miles on under fifty quid's worth of petrol in a 528i.

All things being equal though I'd still go derv though for the midrange shunt.

I was thinking of mates who have tuned clio 200. One chap had a Evo and was told to sell it as a condition for getting a mortgage as it was hitting his income like no ones business.

Again. This would depend on driving style and how the car is looked after.
A poorly maintained tractor would loose power just like a petrol car would. ;)

I agree but at some point you have to say what is achievable and what isnt. A fair test is what they do in "ideal" conditions when working out official mpg to compare petrol to diesel.

.... but that is only the economy side of things.

I get about about 320/350 miles from 75 quid.
That's with foot two thirds to the carpet though.:)

its all about the money!
if diesel fuel cost what it realisticly would cost in relation to petrol!

a refinery to produce only diesel fuel and its close products, it would be half the size of a petrol refinery, and,importantly, half as many personal to operate the refinery, cost would be much lower for the people!

course we know that will never happen!