Introducing me.

djbthatsme

Car
Vauxhall Carlton
My handle is DJBthatsme and I'm a male goldy oldy.
Going way back in the mists of history I can claim to have been a time served mechanic trained by the British Army starting in 1961. I did say it was way back. Then I went on to tinker with vehyicles in the REME. Having jumped ship early I used my tools in the North East of England even though I'm from the wooly valleys of Wales. Like many others I was lured away by the attraction of a skirted variety - not a jock. Since then theres been many a twist and turn leaving me currently living in the Midlands in the state of retirement. I own a Vauxhall Carlton (just lost a Senator) and I'm a member of the Total Carlton club and the Vauxhall Owners Drivers Club (VODC).

Thanks for your reply TCJBOLDIE,
So we must be whats left of the dinosaur dynasty.

Theres many things to be remembered from those early days particularly when owning and driving a car. I can still remember (late 40's - early 50s) looking up a longish street near where I lived to see only one car parked, nowadays every parking space would be taken.

The roads are much improved from those early days at the expense of the nerve tingling journeys we currently experience. Everyone seems to be on the road at the same time in a hurry to get somewhere often flouting safety precautions, at times winding up on collision courses which prove to be costly in one way or another.

We'll soon enough make our final journey so why rush toward it.

I'll end now leaving you with the thoughts of nostalgic moments of bygone days which far outplay todays offerings.

Best Regards and happy motoring.

Yes those were the days :)
My wife thinks that I am tempting fate by still competing albeit @ a slower pace than in my youth but plan to keep on for a couple more years or until I'm over it and just want to sit in the sun and relive my good old days memories |B

I enjoy just taking part in events and the general camaraderie with fellow competitors so I probably only push the car about 8-9 tenths of its potential bearing in mind that if I bend it that will be the end of it for me and will have to stay behind the fence in future.

Last edited:
Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin!

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Hello again TCJBoldie,
Thank you for replying to my email.
I'm unsure of what you're still competing at but whatever it is as long as its legal and you're enjoying it what the hell. However if its not legal make sure you don't get caught and if you do blame it on the wife.
Your details indicate that you may be living in Brisbane which when I last looked was in Australia. That being the case its a far cry from where I live in UK. Nevertheless there have been significant changes worldwide since our younger days, computers\IT obviously being one of the most obvious.
If I'm guessing correctly you are describing car racing perhaps with your own vehicle. I'm just trying to keep my old jalopy on the road so the thought of racing it would probably put the fear of god into it. My car is a 1991 Vauxhall Carlton 2.0 Litre manual version which I've had for 14 years straight after another Carlton that I had for about 12 years. As you can see I'm inclined to keep my cars for quite a while and obviously I've taken to the Carltons.
Must go now, take care.

My car in the pic is a bit older than your Carlton as it saw the light of day in 1985 and it has been mainly used in club level motorsport like Autocross ,track training days,time attack as well as street sprints and over time everything has been improved/upgraded as funds became available.

There have been a few highs and lows but I hope it sees me out and we can both retire to a more sedate life.

Here is a link to one of my events

https://www.torquecars.com/forums/threads/good-read-about-my-last-event-leyburn-sprints.39120/

Last edited:
Thanks go to you obi_waynne, T9 man and TCJBOLDIE,

Ref. your comments obi_waynne I'll start to become more involved now but my time is spread between the two other sites I'm a member of and this site. What with trying to keep my old car on the road, which takes up much time and to much money, and web time I'm fully occupied.

Thank you T9 man hope everything is OK for you down there in London, the Saab is a nice looking car and could have been an option for me but the Carltons and Senators are more to my liking.

It seems like you're pretty busy TCJBOLDIE obviously you're in need of a grant to keep the Starion on the road (apply to your local council). I daren't put my weary Carlton through the stresses you put your car, it struggles taking the pilgrimage to Wales every 2 months often taking unscripted rests. Similar to you much love and attention with to much money is spent keeping it functioning.

I've taken a look at the link to the Leyburn sprint, if you look at the pub in the picture that's where you'll probably find me.

At one time I was tempted to make a trip to OZ to see my brother but the variables weren't quite right. He emigrated quite a number of years ago with his new wife but things didn't work out for him. Work was difficult to come by where he had to travel long distances to get the next job, he was a carpenter at the time. He eventually moved to Rockhampton living there until he passed away a number of years ago.

The same goes in UK I believe.
My brother was also a chippy serving his apprenticeship in the British army. We were both wanderers but brother George sadly was injured due to his work not as a Chippy but during erecting fencing which he was not used to doing. He had gained his degree from University in OZ and was now employed as a foreman running a crew when the incident occurred. What started out as a minor injury deteriorated leading to him taking far to many drugs. Work was hard to come by and as a consequence of pressure from his employers he further deteriorated whilst trying to fulfil their demands. This was confirmed by a tribunal but this didn't help George other than to prove his case against his employers.

Sorry if I've left this on a sad note but clearly this brings back memories. I tried to help him deal with his problems via telephone but I was unsuccessful in the main.

Leaving on a better note George seemed to enjoy Australia when he was fit and well.

Hello and welcome to this awesome site, one of my favourite sites around, we generally have quite good banter and laughs on here so please stick around and post loads, looking forward to getting to know you better.

Thanks thexav for your nudge.
I would like to get more involved both in the site and in vehicles particularly my own and being without a garage as been a real drag. Without anywhere to go to potter on the car as certainly changed my life but that's the way things go.
The whole scene as changed over the years as previously indicated and whilst I've lost the challenge of car problems it gives me more time for the computer and the internet.
Unfortunately this also leads to other issues demonstrated by my constantly protruding belly, so I'll probably also have to go back to the gym soon if my growing waistline is anything to go by.
Anyway that's all for now, I'm off to look around the site before I exit stage right.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back