Insurance Tracker

Pixel

Road Burner
Car
Ford Fiesta Zetec-S
Insurance Tracker

My mate just got Insurance on his own name for £800 which is £400 cheaper than with an another company. The catch with this £800 insurance is that he cant drive the car between 11pm and 5am. He said if he starts the car between that time, they know about it and they fine him £40. He said they came out and put a tracker somewhere in the car. Are they bluffing?

If not,

Does anyone know where the tracker could be? Has to be linked to the engine obviously... and any possibly ways to beat it?

Not really important, he doesnt usually driver during those hours anyway but it should be something fun for us to discuss here at TC.

Pixel.

Can't drive between 11pm and 5am? It's like part-owning a bus service, you can drive, but only between these times... How do they install the tracker? Do they have a man watching out to make sure you don't see where they put it?

I'm not sure I could drive with restrictions, knowing my luck I'd probably need to drive during those times.

i think this is norwich union as i think they offered me this as well when i foned them as told them i only drive around 6500miles a year, which is not far off what i usuay do, in a pay as you drive sceme the catch was i couldnt drive between 11 and a think it was 6 tolt them this was no good coz i have to be at work for 6 in the morning or if im doing split shifts i could be finishing at 2 or 3 how am a suosed to get hame walk

they said someone would come out and install at system on the car which records whwen the engine starts what distance is done (i thinks its linked to gps) what worried me was that they could also get your speed out from this ie if your were doing 70 on a 60 and came of the road they could refuse to pay out asa the speed was recorded as being higher

nanny state gone mad, i'd like to see the survey of people involved in car crashes and who was at fault. it usually seems to get shunted onto the younger driver.

when i had my accident, wasnt driving long, the lad who drove the van into me, called his boss, who then turned up in his audi and took my details, he then said to me and i quote: ''so whats happened then? you tried to undertake him?''

infuriates me to the max, so much so that one day ill just snap....

aswearing said:
nanny state gone mad, i'd like to see the survey of people involved in car crashes and who was at fault. it usually seems to get shunted onto the younger driver.

when i had my accident, wasnt driving long, the lad who drove the van into me, called his boss, who then turned up in his audi and took my details, he then said to me and i quote: ''so whats happened then? you tried to undertake him?''

infuriates me to the max, so much so that one day ill just snap....

yeah one of the boys a work with had an accident at a roundabout where a woman pulled out right in front of him. the 2 witnesses both turned round to the police and said that he was going to fast , bloody boy racer is what one of them called him, and didnt even try to stop. the woman claimed that there was noone there when she pulled out. you can see all the way up the sands from this roundabout was. the police pulled him in and told him the the woman said there was nobody there and the witnesses said that he had came flying down the road and didnt bother to stop.
he basically told them that she had pulled out in front of him without even looking and he could proved that he had tried to aviod as there was 2 sets of skid marks from where he had slammed the brakes on and steered away and another set from where he at turned the steering to stop him hitting the kerb.

sorry should have said the sands is called the whitesands and if you look at any pic of dumfries in flood that where thell show

i think the polcy charged you sumthing stupid if you drove outwith these times. rather than say 2p a mile it would be 10p

Sadly this is all too common. What you, me, and many other decently skilled drivers do during the course of everyday driving, or in exceptional situations like you mention is often seen differently by other types of drivers.

Your idea of maximising vision is possibly much like mine.....use as much road as possible when it's safe to do so, thereby maximising your vision and visibility is a good thing.

But, some old goat tips up and declares that "you were all over the road".

Even though that 'old goat' can hardly see beyond it's spectacles with lenses the size of dormer windows.

It's bloody unfair but the oldies seem to have an unwritten rule that their speed is everyone's speed.

I get so f...in. cross when I get a Corolla leap out in front of me (having had 2 miles to do so anyway). Then it proceeds at 37.5mph.

That's OK. And then I overtake ASAP. Very quickly, and back on my own side in not much more than five seconds, having caused no problem at all to ANYONE.

And then the light flashing and fingers skyward starts.

These are old people that think they deserve respect.

They can *#*#*#*# RIGHT OFF if they can't even see out of the *#*#*#*#*#*#*# car. And dont' they dare ever raise a finger to me again.

HDi fun said:
Your idea of maximising vision is possibly much like mine.....use as much road as possible when it's safe to do so, thereby maximising your vision and visibility is a good thing.

I get so f...in. cross when I get a Corolla leap out in front of me (having had 2 miles to do so anyway). Then it proceeds at 37.5mph.

That's OK. And then I overtake ASAP. Very quickly, and back on my own side in not much more than five seconds, having caused no problem at all to ANYONE.

And then the light flashing and fingers skyward starts.

These are old people that think they deserve respect.

They can flick RIGHT OFF if they can't even see out of the flick car. And dont' they dare ever raise a finger to me again.

i agree with the using as much as of the road as possible a lot of the roads around here are country roads and i find it best to drive in the middle of the road, when traffic premits, simply because of wildlife jumping out phesants foxes and lately a duck who was a bit slow.
i acculy had a problem with a old woman who was doing around 40 in a 30, i will admit i was doing 35 and she was still pulling away from me however when she got to the national signs she braked

WHY ??????????

she was flashing the lights at me when i overtook he, and it defenitly wasnt to let me know it was safe to move back in coz i could see here mouthing off

What's often fun is to follow at a very safe distance but keeping pace with 'em. They try harder and harder to shake you off. You'll see the driving get quicker and clumsier. Do back off before panic sets in and an accident happens.

nah if im no in a rush i like to do what old people do on the moterway

pass them and then slow back down

only do this if there are no other cars behind no point in p**sing more drivers off

ok back to the insurance if you are offered the pay as you drive sceme of this cant drive between 11 and 5 turn it down its only sutible foe old people who only use the car to go and gt food for their cats.

your leaving yourself at to great a risk
to give a senario, you are lying in bed at 2am and recive a phonecall to say something has happened to your mum/dad/sibling/other member of family. if you no longer live at home how are you supposed to get to the hospital ???? if you jump in the car and start it you will be drving without valid insurance leaving yourself wide open as the company have the time/date stamp on its tracker

unless you can find a way of disabling it, it is not going to save you money in the long run. just thinking if sumthing like this takes over from normal insurance when you get pulled. the police will do pnc checks on the car hich might show as its insured by its currently suposed to be sitting in the owners driveway as hasnt been started for 2 days

Why worry about winding them up if they have inadequate evidence?

They're happy to wind you up....

Make 'em work for their salary and their inflation proof pensions...

Pixel, yes, if a police officer 'takes liberties' with their position then I am happy to apply my knowledge of UK law to defend myself. I make a point of study and maintaining my knowledge of current motoing legislation and of the history of recent cases. Ignore the silly ones. The ones that matter are HM v. (mr public).

Often the court will be asked (by the prosecution) to record a verdict of 'there being no case to answer'. This allows the prosecution to retract all the evidence and thereby no precedent is set.

However, it's best to stick to the rules in general. If we all do so, it's far easier to tread the moral (and legal) high road when we're compromised.

I refer you to two tomes;-

1. The Police and Criminal Evidence Act PACE (and all it's subsequent revisions);

2. Butterworth's Police Law (available on Amazon, new or used but get the latest edition you can find).

Both are heavy reading but can prove useful.

Kind regards,

Paul Anderson.

Dang it. I'm going to get a copy of his driving licence and a fake id and just tell the police that I'm him! :lol: That should scare em off!

I can't see how such terms could be enforced. It's also a silly policy to take out, leaving yourself at so much risk.

Well he wanted to go on his own name but have it as cheap as possible, shaving off 50% was too much temptation for him to handle. Id class it as an inconvenience, why would you say its a risk?

your leaving yourself at to great a risk
to give a senario, you are lying in bed at 2am and recive a phonecall to say something has happened to your mum/dad/sibling/other member of family. if you no longer live at home how are you supposed to get to the hospital ???? if you jump in the car and start it you will be drving without valid insurance leaving yourself wide open as the company have the time/date stamp on its tracker

unless you can find a way of disabling it, it is not going to save you money in the long run. just thinking if sumthing like this takes over from normal insurance when you get pulled. the police will do pnc checks on the car hich might show as its insured by its currently suposed to be sitting in the owners driveway as hasnt been started for 2 days

thats just and example
or another 1 is, your only insured to 11pm and you head hame at half 10 knowing that its less than 1/2 hour away. but halfway home you have a flat tyre. now in my experiance it takes around 10mins to change a wheel with a sissor lift jack (ones supplied in the car absolultly usless) that means your going to be uninsured before you get home

thats just and example
or another 1 is, your only insured to 11pm and you head hame at half 10 knowing that its less than 1/2 hour away. but halfway home you have a flat tyre. now in my experiance it takes around 10mins to change a wheel with a sissor lift jack (ones supplied in the car absolultly usless) that means your going to be uninsured before you get home

So you drop the hammer to get home quicker, copper pulls you, bang, not insured for the slightest thing, and there you are with no license, and a car you cant drive at all.

Mm, I'll take my fully Comp any day, as its just my luck to get the whirly blue lights behind me.

You will probably find that you just lose your discount if you use the car out of these hours. Could be an expensive emergency.

Hes only every found himself in a jam once. Basically it was 10:45pm and he was well more than 15 minutes away. He parked the car in the nearest safest place he could find and got a lift home. And then a lift back there the next day. So as I said, its a very big inconvinience, rather than a risk!?

but what would have happened if he happened been able to get a lift ?

its ok for people living in cities and large towns but if your out in the country then your stuck. im the only 1 on my shift at work from lockerbie thats out of 19 if my cars not running it means borrow the wifes/ she takes me in and comes back for me
or walk the 3 and a half miles

what would happen if he got a job that involved starting at 6 like i do it means im in at work for around 530am

he would have to change his insurance which would probably incur a cost for canceling the original policy

its a good idea for people that work 9-5 jobs (those who get cheaper insurance anyway) or those who dont drive very much ( is this the same policy that charges you for the distance travelled per mile or just limits you to driving inbetween 7 and 11

Last edited:
You raise good points but he doesn't live in the country, he has several family members who drive and dozens of friends. Hes in full time education which is never before 11am. I'm sure he considered everything before taking out the policy. The bottom line for him was that he cant drive around in the night which he rarely did anyway. The policy is definitely not for me and not for you.