Injectors - do biggers ones provide more fuel

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
I'm still not sure on injectors, they are rated on CC's does this relate to the pressure the fuel is delivered at, the duration and do bigger injectors mean you can extract more power?

Do the injectors just open and close using pressure from the fuel rail? If so how can they change fuel delivery?

When would you need to replace and uprate a cars injectors?

the size of an injector simply gives the maximum flow rate.
Fitting larger ones just means that you can get more fuel it doesnt mean that you will, That is what an ecu is for (amongst other things)
As a general rule smaller ones have a better spray pattern so you should not upgrade unless you do need more fuel

Larger injectors can supply more fuel IF the motor needs it and there is no point in upgrading them in a stock motor BUT if you are adding more boost to increase power then the stock inj's may exceed the maximum safe duty cycle of say 80-85 % and you will need to install higher flowing inj's along with a bigger fuel pump.

Sort of what I have in the Elan engine. 8 injectors, but all the same. One set of four will do the majority of the work with the other set firing up when required.