In roof iPod LCD Screen

wallydogking

Having mentioned that I was doing an in roof LCD install in my Vauxhall Vectra, I was asked to show it off here. I've been documenting this job since the very beginning and let me tell you... it changes monthly. sometimes even daily.

As with every work log I ever do, pictures speak louder than words:

First thing to do is see if my theory of using the Sony PSOne screen will actually work:
112_0880-600.jpg

Then I draw up my plan in Google Sketchup:
rooflcd-hidden-600.jpg

rooflcd-600.jpg

Now that I know it will not only work, but also fit in the roof...
112_0887-600.jpg

I don't need the screen to send the PSOne signal, so I created a custom cable that one sends the video and power:
100_1029-600.jpg

Then I built the case out of 3mm plexi:
100_1070-600.jpg

100_1049-600.jpg

and tested it again:
100_1072-600.jpg

I then put a protective screen on it and loads of body filler:
100_1102-600.jpg

100_1105-600.jpg

ready for painting:
100_1110-600.jpg

painted:
100_1115-600.jpg

tested:
100_1117-600.jpg

I then mounted it to the panel taken from the inside of the car:
100_1118-600.jpg

100_1119-600.jpg

100_1121-600.jpg

and this brings us up to date... I'm now sorting out the location of the iPod dock:
112_0832-600.jpg

112_0829-600.jpg

112_0831-600.jpg

I've done a few other things, like running a temp string from the roof to the dash board. but I've got no pics of that. These are but a very small sample of the work done so far. let me know if anyone wants more details...

the best is yet to come, as I'm in the process of wiring in the motor to automatically raise and lower the screen in the car. I'll take some pics of the car roof so you can all get a better idea of the install.

al i can say is smart a**e :lol: :lol: :lol:

what is the output from the ipod video i was looking at getting one as swapping cd, even mp3 ones, can be a pain trying to find the right cds

i got a 7" moniter a few years ago for the civic and an external tv reciver and fitted them both in the dash, the only proble is we go digital next year and am not wiring it all up for 6 months a year tops. the moniter has a rca input and the cdplayer has aux in as the boras double din i waslooking at installing the moniter again if an ipod could play video externaly

PG... if you look at Apple's website it tells you that you have to use their own custom cable. but its a load of boll*cks.

What apple did was take a standard RCA adapter and swap the yellow and red connectors. so all you need is a standard RCA plug and just make sure you swap the red and yellow.

Basically you get:

Red = Video
Yellow = Audio
White = Audio

I get mine off ebay for about £2.50 for a 6 footer.

I discovered the cheap solution here:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2005/11/18/video-ipod.html

in short? it will work a treat. hope that helps.

and yes. yes I am a smart a**e! :D :lol:

cheers mate a take it if its playing on the screen you can select tracks from the lcd screen rather than the small (ish) screen on the ipod if so this is starting to sound like a extremely great idea

nothing wrong with havin a big heid :p

Well done - nice project, would you mind me putting it up on the main site with your text and pictures - I think so many people would like to see that!

waynne... yes please. thanks very much! I'd be honored to be on the main page! That and it will get my arse in gear to get it done!

Just let me know how you want me to update the worklog. I've got loads more pictures of the inbetween stuff as well, so let me know if you want that more pictures, I can upload them here, or keep them Photobucket if you want. Just let me know.

If you photobucket them I can ask for originals if I need something larger to work from. Let us know when you are finished then!