In car ipad holder in under 10minutes for less than £2

Hello everybody,

Just thougt I'd share a recent innovations votive solution for an in car iPad mount.
Or any other tablet for that matter...

The problem:
90% of us who use or even own a tablet tend to keep it in a protectve cover, yet manufacturers of 'in car' mounts seem to have overlooked this and only supply holders that fit the iPad by clipping into place in the it the protect be case.​

For anybody who spends time on the road and uses their iPad as a sat nav (as I do) this means swapping cases constantly, which is a complete waste of time!

The solution:
This is what I did with my Jaguar, but this could be utilised for many other types of car with very little modification (if any), do so at your own risk, I am simply sharing what I chose to do wi my own car.​

Take a length of 10mm x 2mm aluminium bar from a local DIY place, I bought a 1m length for less than £2 and only needed half of it!

1. Measure 60mm from the end and make a sharp right angle bend.
  2. Measure 10mm from your bend and twist 90 degrees
  3. Measure the width your need to accommodate your iPad/tablet
  4. Repeat at the other end
  5. Trim off the excess bar so that you are left with a centre section the same width as your iPad and two prongs at either end.
  6. Gently use a flat screwdriver to prize apart the adjoining trim pieces above the centre vents in your dashboard
  7. Push the aluminium prongs into the gap
  8. Presto! Your done! You now have a neat aluminium strip which your can tuck the protective flap of your case behind this mounting the iPad into place!
attachment.php

attachment.php

ipadmounted.jpg

attachment.php

You need to be logged in to view images from Jagforums apparently. As we are not logged in they don't show up.

The photobucket one is showing just fine.

This is a great thread & brilliant idea, thanks for posting.

Simple and neat. Now remove and polish with fine wet and dry and metal polish so it is in keeping with the plush interior :)

Simple and neat. Now remove and polish with fine wet and dry and metal polish so it is in keeping with the plush interior :)

Yes quite.
I might do at some point but I have far more pressing matters taking up my time for now.
If so inclined you could also contact a company like leathertec and ask them to colour match it to the interior in leather or vinyl.

For me personally, it functional, but yes indeed I take your point that it would do any harm to prettify it a little.

Oh I like this. it's so simple, it's brilliant. I used some temporary velcro on the dash for mine whilst playing with OBD2 scan gauges but this is much better.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back