Ignition barrel & boot lock change questions...

gratz2

Tuner
Car
Golf V5 auto
Hello everyone,
Last week my other half snapped the first half of her only key in the boot lock (I have been nagging her to get a spare cut to no avail...) of her 98 corsa 1.7 diesel :(
I have managed to get into the car and remove the ignition housing so the car can be driven and locked (with a screwdiver).
The questions i have are:
  1. How do you remove the ignition barrel from the housing? I have seen several for sale on ebay but none seem to come in the housing and I cant see how to get lock barrel out
  2. Any tips on how to break into the boot would be v. much appreciated...(can it be done from inside maybe?).
  3. Likewise with the locking petrol cap as she is running out of fuel - was thinking a big screwdriver and brute force might do it but am worried about damaging the filler pipe:confused:
I am planning to buy a complete lockset but am stuck until I can do the jobs above... All advice/suggestions (apart from finding a sensible girlfriend!) much appreciated.

Do you have a locksmith nearby? A few can break into cars for you without damaging the locks. Have a chat with them.

I've known the AA and other recovery firms to know ways into locked cars.

For the time it's taking you why not just drop it into a garage and let them do all the hard work for you and install the new locks?

As to removing the ignition barrall I'm not sure. Try looking to see if the trim on the bottom of the steering wheel comes off. This should then give access behind the lock and show the clips you need to prize open to get it off.

Do you have a locksmith nearby? A few can break into cars for you without damaging the locks. Have a chat with them.

I've known the AA and other recovery firms to know ways into locked cars.

For the time it's taking you why not just drop it into a garage and let them do all the hard work for you and install the new locks?

As to removing the ignition barrall I'm not sure. Try looking to see if the trim on the bottom of the steering wheel comes off. This should then give access behind the lock and show the clips you need to prize open to get it off.
Thanks Waynne,
Have already had the drivers door lock out and its not difficult to replace, would go to a garage but as the car is not worth much would be uneconomic repair. As locksets are cheap enough on ebay doesn't matter if i roger boot and petrol cap removing them and can wait for them to arrive - might even teach gf a lesson! Have already removed steering lock so that car can be driven, its just not very secure atm cos can be unlocked & started with a screwdriver... I can fix it for about £30 i reckon

You need the key i'm afraid to get the barrel off unless you break it off.
If you can get to the boot from the inside then you should be able to use a screwdriver in the latch and open it that way.
And if you careful with the filler cap a screwdriver will be your friend here as well.;)

I've just had another think here. Can you get the broken key out of the lock? Place some superglue or liquid metal on a piece of metal, bond the two together and wiggle it out.

Perhaps you can get a new key cut to match the old profile?

I've just had another think here. Can you get the broken key out of the lock? Place some superglue or liquid metal on a piece of metal, bond the two together and wiggle it out.

Perhaps you can get a new key cut to match the old profile?

we had to do this last week but luckily the key broke whilst not in the lock, it cost £45 for the locksmith to come out and cut a new key. which i didnt think was to bad tbh

Thanks for the advice everyone, have managed to get boot open from inside and a large screwdriver with the help of some gentle percussive engineering was indeed my friend in getting the petrol cap open ;)
Just waiting for the lockset to arrive now and will soon be sorted...

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back