ideal saloon track car

Status
Not open for further replies.
the whole point in buying a £500 motor is so i can get a feel for track tuning, it's going to get stripped out and caged, uprated brakes, suspension etc... why buy a £2500 car when you can buy £500 car and use that extra 2k on aftermarket parts?

£2000 won't buy much mate. My 4 pot Porsche front setup is costing around £1300. My coilovers were £800 before any alignment. I haven't even seen a track yet either.

Maybe you should ask T9 and MA how much they've spent on their road/track cars.

If you want a proper stripped out and caged track car then you may want to research the costs of things mate because it seems unrealistic to me that you will manage it. Good luck though!

Someone asked the PPC crew which cheap track cars would they buy and they said " 3 series e36 ,MX5, or 924"

:D mines cost me around £500, look for the calipers on us and german ebay as they can be alot cheaper even after import tax

Calipers aren't the problem. £300 machined to fit is what I'm paying (after looking on eBay seems reasonable). It's the discs I'm using, the brackets and the custom lines. I'll also have to use spacers on the front which add to the cost.

yes it is (assuming like for like)

Of course it depends what you are stopping and from what speed

06012007301-1.jpg

bigger brakes may not work as well as standard size brakes due to brake cooling etc lol learnt that on here in one of the tuning tips lol

The pads may take a little bit longer to warm up but that depends on compound. As far as stopping power goes then bigger is better. Especially if you want to use the car on track.

all you need is brand new discs and pads, bigger brakes isn't always better

:blink: I take it from this ill-informed statement that you have never actually thrashed your own car around a track! ;)

The pads may take a little bit longer to warm up but that depends on compound. As far as stopping power goes then bigger is better. Especially if you want to use the car on track.

Exactly Prince, my car as you know is very very heavy and extremely powerful, using standard OEM brakes on the car for the first time on the track, would have seen me introducing the front of my car into the rear of another or worse still into a barrier. Bigger brakes for a heavy car is definitely the way to go ;)

Exactly Prince, my car as you know is very very heavy and extremely powerful, using standard OEM brakes on the car for the first time on the track, would have seen me introducing the front of my car into the rear of another or worse still into a barrier. Bigger brakes for a heavy car is definitely the way to go ;)

Even worse mate you could have killed yourself.

my mate had run a few track laps in his 205gti with both standard brakes and after his bigger brake conversion, he said the only difference is the braking distance involved and a replacement set of pads after the day at the track.

"the only difference is the braking distance" ???????

Well how else can you judge them.......... brakes are after all for stopping

I had better add something about the materials before that comes up.

Many materilas are used .

There is a play off between how long brakes last , how quickly they fade and how well they stop. And of course what they cost.

But regardless of this , pick any combination of materials you like - a bigger brake will always stop better than a similar smaller one.

Just out of interst T9 I reckon mine weighs even more than yours :toung:

absolutely as I said "it depends on what you are stopping and from what speed"

but what ever it weighs it will still stop quicker with bigger brakes

i will repeat myself, a T4 will be a money pit, the stuff just isnt available at sensible prices. The T5 is much more upgradable and parts interchangability with other Volvos is much easyer, to upgrade the brakes from 280mm to 302mm on a T5 would be about £50.

i'll be building a trailer or buying one so it will be a "track" car not a "road/track" car, suppose i could use a primera gt for my track car?

Status
Not open for further replies.