I'd just like to thank...

Well when approaching an island/roundabout where you have to physically get in the lane suggested, that is a different matter.

Last edited:
I'd just like to thank.......

The retard in the red van overtaking towards me on a blind bend at around 3pm on 26th July 2013.

Road: B4011 just North of Oakley.

Very very close indeed, am extremely shaken. I applied full brake pressure and came to a controlled halt in very short order. The van driver was still moving for what felt like several seconds and finally came to a halt about one car length from my car.

Don't get me wrong the temptation was strong. I am very very capable indeed of handling myself but I don't like violence in the slightest.

Right now I am full of anger and still a little bit shaken.

If I had a car mounted camera . . . . ..

Is this a new law then? Because alot of dual carriage way's i've been on tell you to get in lane at just about that distance.
Is it in the highway code?
And to be honest regardless of whether or not a driver is hogging any lane be it the middle or the outside flashing your lights at them and tailgaiting is just as illegal so who is in the wrong?
The lane hogger or the impatience driver behind?
If people want to break the law then let them. Why commit an offence yourself for it?

Flashing your lights or using your horn are used to make other drivers aware of your presence;)
I flash my lights on a regular basis on the motorways/dual carriageways if someone in front of me is hogging a lane when the lane to the left of them is free from traffic! I don't do this in an aggressive manner I'm just trying to making my progress quicker and alert the driver in front that it's safe to move over;)

Your far wrong in thinking it's not illegal.
The highway code says that flashing your lights is to alert another driver of your presence, but come on seriously?
If you flash your lights at a vehicle that is waiting to pull out of a junction, they will pull out. Thinking that's why you have flashed them.
I'll tell you what Herb/HDi. I'll make a bet with you both. If you see a marked poilce car on a motorway or dual carriageway hogging a lane (which i've seen many of times). Then you proceed to flash your lights at them to let you through.
I dare put money on it that you would receive a fine for doing so.

The highway code says that flashing your lights is to alert another driver of your presence, but come on seriously?
If you flash your lights at a vehicle that is waiting to pull out of a junction, they will pull out. Thinking that's why you have flashed them.
I'll tell you what Herb/HDi. I'll make a bet with you both. If you see a marked poilce car on a motorway or dual carriageway hogging a lane (which i've seen many of times). Then you proceed to flash your lights at them to let you through.

Yes tried that a few years ago.
I did not get a fine but got a severe talking to!
I have not done it since instead try patience as its less stressful.

I don't actually do this for a start. Police vehicles or otherwise. I'd never flash someone at a junction unless I have already checked it's safe for them to emerge. And it's STILL their decision, not mine. The problem I find is that I will do so from a long long long way back - they still sit there - clearly most drivers don't use long range observation and planning!!

But alerting another road user to your position, presence and speed is not in contravention of any part of the Road Traffic Act. This is why cars are fitted with main beam flashing and horns. Let's face it, both are required to work in order for an MoT test certificate to be issued.

In the same way that flashing someone out from a junction is not actually a 'you may proceed' message - it simply alerts them of your presence, allows them to be aware of your position and approach speed. It's up to the other driver to interpret and act as they see fit.

Last edited:
I don't actually do this for a start. Police vehicles or otherwise.

But alerting another road user to your position, presence and speed is not in contravention of any part of the Road Traffic Act. This is why cars are fitted with main beam flashing and horns. Let's face it, both are required to work in order for an MoT test certificate to be issued.

In the same way that flashing someone out from a junction is not actually a 'you may proceed' message - it simply alerts them of your presence, allows them to be aware of your position and approach speed. It's up to the other driver to interpret and act as they see fit.

You must surely agree that flashing at someone waiting at a junction and not expecting them to pull out is dicey though.

Sorry misunderstood I thought you meant you are flashing to let them know you are there only not inviting them out.
I Took that post out of context.

Like I say. The highway code says it is alerting another vehicle of your presence. But in real life actual driving, to the majority it means go ahead, I'm letting you out.
And again. Go flash a police car be it marked or unmarked to move over and I would put a bet on that you at least get pulled and told off for it.

Like I say. The highway code says it is alerting another vehicle of your presence. But in real life actual driving, to the majority it means go ahead, I'm letting you out.
And again. Go flash a police car be it marked or unmarked to move over and I would put a bet on that you at least get pulled and told off for it.

We're not talking about an instruction to move over. We're talking about alerting the driver to your presence. That is NOT a moving traffic offence.

The Police driver's interpretation of the headlight flash forms no part of any potential legal issue. If a marked car is in the rightmost lane it's probably for a reason. If it's unmarked then they are NOT gonna give away their identity on the basis of a headlight flash. Let's stop slamming the Police shall we.

I'm in no way at all slamming them. I know personally that if you come up behind a vehicle and flash them before you get to them. (and it happens to be a police car) You will get a warning for it, If not a fine.
Also you try driving down a country lane etc with a car trying to pull out of a side road. You can bet your bottom dollar they will see that as your letting them out. They won't see it as you saying "hey here I am i'm approaching"
It just doesn't happen like that.

I'm in no way at all slamming them. I know personally that if you come up behind a vehicle and flash them before you get to them. (and it happens to be a police car) You will get a warning for it, If not a fine.
Also you try driving down a country lane etc with a car trying to pull out of a side road. You can bet your bottom dollar they will see that as your letting them out. They won't see it as you saying "hey here I am i'm approaching"

All slightly hypothetical given what I've already said. In such a situation I wouldn't do so unless it was safe for the driver to emerge.

As I have said I would NOT DO SO unless it was safe for them to emerge, just in case they do misinterpret the flash.

Please do not assume that I am totally stupid.

That would never happen my friend. You should know that by now buddy.
I'm just saying that flashing your lights at another vehicle these days doesn't go with what the highway code says. And with it the police can and do take action against it.

I'd love to know on what grounds you could get a warning or even a fine!?
Cause honestly if this situation ever does arise I would have no problem flashing my lights at a police car!

Guys we all know in real world situations that a flash of lights means you are inviting another driver to pull out/move out whatever the case my be.
Lets be honest we have all done this at another drivers flash/invite.
As we are all on a car forum I would expect all of us to take some pride in our driving standards.
So as Hdi says and we must surely all agree none of us would invite another vehicle to pull out unless safe to do so.
I would not pull out of anywhere at anyones flash/invite if I was not certain it was safe to do so.

Headlight flash simply alerts other drivers to your presence. It's up to them to judge your speed and position. Iinterpret as they see fit. Emerge or stay still. Sadly most stay still cos they want the whole county to be bereft of vehicles, moving or otherwise.

The police are in no position to take action. Much as with The Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949. It been used historically to attempt to prosecute drivers for the use of speed trap (radar/laser) mechanisms. Given that no information is contained within the laser light beam nor within the scattered radar.

There is no information contained in the light beams sent along the road by flashed main beam lights.

Your argument is futile

Exactly as said above its up to them/us to interpret/judge as they see fit.
I can,t see any problem with that.

If you come up behind a police car and start flashing your lights at them to move over I guarantee you will be stopped for it.
And again you flash your lights at someone waiting at a junction. They will pull out rather than think your telling them your coming through.
I know what the highway code says. I'm talking in the real world.

If you come up behind a police car and start flashing your lights at them to move over I guarantee you will be stopped for it.
And again you flash your lights at someone waiting at a junction. They wipull out rather than think your telling them your coming through.
I know what the highway code says. I'm talking in the real world.

Mate as I said in post 66 I thought we had established we are all talking real world situations.
As Hdi has said and we all must agree none of us in our right minds would invite anyone to pull out if it is not safe to do so.
I Totally agree nobody interprets flashing as I am here anymore.

This is the problem if you flash your lights at the person intended, they then have to interpret what it is your trying to say, I get this a lot.
Am I flashing to say he/she has done something or is doing something wrong? Is there a problem with their car :- is a door slightly open or the rear fog light left on?

For example, I must have followed behind a car on the motorway for nearly two miles before he realised that my flashing and pointing at him was for him to switch off his left indicator :blink:

I have been flashed on occasion and the first thing I do is to look at my dashboard for warning lights for any of the above problems.

I must say also, that I only use my horn if their is imminent danger of something that the driver needs to be made aware off, right now.