I'd just like to thank...

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
It's time we had a sarcastic I'd just like to thank... thread.

The seagull that decided to decorate my recently washed car.
The Driver that pulled out on me forcing me to do an emergency stop and who then proceeded to drive at 40mph instead of the posted 60mph!
The cars that didn't let me out of a junction even though they were turning right and had to stop anyway!​

:lol: This is going to be a good one ;)

I shall post up a few tomorrow as it's nearing my bedtime after a long day yesterday at the Goodwood Festival of Speed ;)

It's time we had a sarcastic I'd just like to thank... thread.

The seagull that decided to decorate my recently washed car.
The Driver that pulled out on me forcing me to do an emergency stop and who then proceeded to drive at 40mph instead of the posted 60mph!
The cars that didn't let me out of a junction even though they were turning right and had to stop anyway!​

What's a seagull? Don't know of a bird by that name.

60mph is the maximum, not the target :)

Speed limits DO give a good indication of a sensible speed to drive if there are no adverse conditions or situations.

It is VERY VERY ARROGANT to pull out in front of someone and force them to slow in the manner Waynne has described.

I have no time for OG's point about speed limits in this particular situation.

Nissan for eliminating conventional automatics from their line up for easily broken CVTs.
The United Kingdom for driving on the wrong side of the road.
General Motors for canceling Pontiac and Saturn. Saturn could've been a competent Scion competitor and Pontiac a BMW rival.
Suzuki for leaving the US market

I've already explained why in my previous post.

Much as the Highway Code tells us that speed limits are maximum limits, not targets there is also a bit about emerging into traffic which says you should not cause another road user to alter their speed or direction of travel as a result of your actions.

You seem to directly condone people pulling out in front of others and forcing them to slow down. At least, that is what your post implies.

I've already explained why in my previous post.

Much as the Highway Code tells us that speed limits are maximum limits, not targets there is also a bit about emerging into traffic which says you should not cause another road user to alter their speed or direction of travel as a result of your actions.

You seem to directly condone people pulling out in front of others and forcing them to slow down. At least, that is what your post implies.

I think that you are reading too much into my reply. All I was pointing out was that you don't have to drive at the posted maximum, I wasn't condoning the stupid action that preceded it. If Waynne had been half a mile away when the driver pulled out he would still have had to slow down when he caught him up :)

Yes indeed. But in general it is a good idea to drive to the speed limit if it's safe to do so. Going 20mph below it for no reason at all is going to instil frustration in following drivers. And frustration is not conducive to safety.

I have to disagree with you on this one, Paul. You should drive at the speed you are comfortable with. For example, many people would not consider driving at 60mph along national speed limited country roads as they think it is too fast, either for their car or their driving ability. Very sensible.

If a driver is frustrated by someone travelling at less than the posted LIMIT then that person needs to take a serious look at their own driving ability and mindset. If a driver gets frustated whilst driving they should seriously consider whether they are in the right frame of mind to be in control of a piece of machinery that could easily kill someone.

You state that it is a good idea to drive to the speed limit if it's safe to so so. Why is it a good idea and who considers whether it is safe to do so, the driver of the 'slow' car or the driver of the car behind?

Anyone driving at 20mph below the LIMIT is doing it for a reason, be it they are not in a hurry, conserving fuel, not happy driving any faster, etc.

So, a driver not comfortable driving any faster should speed up so as not to frustrate the impatient driver behind? I think it would be better for the driver behind to chill out and concentrate on being a better, more considerate driver.

No matter how many cars you overtake, there will always be another one in front of you :)

Last edited:
I did say if safe to do so. That does include what the driver feels and perceives as safe.

To elaborate, I'd rather an elderly driver go at a speed at which they feel safe than go too fast for their ability. Of course I'd rather they weren't on the road but I suspect that they probably feel just the same and would rather not be there either so let's be fair to everyone.

But the frustration of having to anchor up needlessly is understandable.

The thing that actually angers me is when you overtake said driver and they start the horn concerto and flick V signs.
That's a step too far and it has happened to me.
Further, when they then proceed to tailgate me through a 30 zone (which they'd otherwise speed through at 40mph ish - Dad - are you reading this ! ! ! !) you can understand why my sympathy dissolves a little.

I have experienced this more than once and you can't tell me that the other driver is being remotely sensible.

Can't argue with any of that except, perhaps, the bit about not wanting them on the road. Do you mean old people who don't drive at the limit or everyone who doesn't?

Most old people who still drive do because they like driving or it's their only way of reliably getting about.

It would be interesting to still be around in 30 years time to see if your opinion of older, slower drivers changes :)

I too have experienced the 40mph everywhere driver. I have also experienced the 18 year old idiots who I would rather not have on the road as they are much more dangerous than the old gits.

Last edited:
I did qualify the bit about not wanting them on the road by adding that they'd probably rather not be there either. What I mean is that I tolerate it for that reason. I am sure if there was a viable public transport alternative they'd seize it gladly.

I don't mind people not driving at the limit, it's their choice of speed but they shouldn't emerge into traffic and force other road users to change course or speed. It's not for me to dictate any else's speed. And I don't. But it's not for them to dictate my speed and admonish me for making a safe and swift overtaking move either. All I am asking for is courtesy. I am courteous to other road users and I do expect similar in return.

Yep, I've met the moronic teenager too. There are some idiots around who are in my age group as well ! !

Fact is Steve I think we do actually agree on all of this!!

In order of importance I think that attitude, attention and anticipation are worth far more than the lighting reflexes that younger drivers will naturally exhibit.

I have also found some very capable and attentive new drivers too. As such it's not really possible, nor fair, to stereotype people. There are some excellent 'elderly' drivers around the place as well !!

I totted up a while ago and I've covered over 600,000 miles since passing my test in 1987. Experience does help, without a doubt.

Last edited:
Most intelligent argument ever. :)

I think we can all safely agree your both right on this. We all probably have come across drivers driving way under the speed limit and its very frustrating, especially if your in a hurry or just generally enjoying a drive. As OG knows, a lot of roads around our way are full of national speed limits of 60. I am comfortable with driving at the limit, and I am more then happy to drive slightly under the limit, for example 50, but when some fool in front is driving at 25mph its extremely frustrating.

back on topic,

I would like to thank the moron who bumped my front bumper and made a crack. The crack is tiny, but none the the less, its a crack.

I would like to thank the moron who bumped my front bumper and made a crack. The crack is tiny, but none the the less, its a crack.

Hunt him down Dave, I know a flyover being built that will make a marvellous new home for the inconsiderate rascal ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:

It maybe difficult to track the fool. As I park down a long road and remembering what cars are parked becomes tiring! If only my girlfriend had a huge driveway like my self at home!

I just edited your post... I was supposed to hit quote! Fail....

Listen Old git, me & HDi fun both qucik cars & use the loud pedal for overtaking people who insist they have the god given right to drive at 30 in a 60 limit zone, now upset's & frustrates me no end , so i find a gap & stab the loud pedal, 2 seconds & their behind me, its a quirk known only to Buckinghamshire where we both live, drivers are so conservative here it hurts just knowing the same thing'll happen tommorow,, ah well, better start building my MX 5 V8,,,i'll keep to the speed limit, naturaly.!!

I have to say one of my main pet peeves is people in cars driving really slowly where there is no need for it. If you can't get anywhere near the speed limit without defecating into your seat then probably don't drive. Whilst I realise the limit is the limit rather than the target, roads which allow a higher speed have been deemed to do so for a reason. Therefore if I want to use these roads to their maximum potential (as is completely legal to do so) I don't need some dork in front of me doing half the speed limit impeding my progress. Let me overtake without flashing and swearing and generally being a fool about it. If you're that scared of the roads that someone overtaking you causes you to be flustered/frightened/whatever, or because it's raining, or because you just simply shouldn't be on the road with the minimal amount of skill behind the wheel that you have, then don't be on it.

If people are hooning about like idiots cutting others up and switching lanes back and forth just to get ahead slightly then that also is unacceptable.

I'd also like to thank the people on dual carriageways and motorways that don't actually know how to use them and refuse to move over. On a dual carriageway for instance, even if you're turning right at the roundabout (2 miles ahead), it is still necessary for you to move out of the way for other road users. You can move back over in due course for your right turn. On motorways people are still (despite new laws) hogging the central lane and even the "fast" lane a lot of the time. I should not have to touch your bumper or flash you for you to move over. I would suggest these people go back to lessons and get a bit more knowledge before rejoining the highways and byways that we all have to use on a daily basis.

Rant over :D

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all. If i'm approaching an island why should I move over to let the person behind me through? I am turning right. I need the right hand lane so why should I move to let everyone through then possibly have no time to get back in because everyone would have taken advantage?

And secondly if you were to come anywhere near my bumper or start flashing your lights (just because you think your king of the road) for me to move over then my friend I think you need to start looking at your own driving.
As you have stated it's a limit not a target and i'm sorry to say you sound like the arrogant driver that will overtake just to get to your destination a couple of seconds quicker.
If I was you my friend i'd take a look at your own driving before criticising other road users.

I'd also like to thank the people on dual carriageways and motorways that don't actually know how to use them and refuse to move over. On a dual carriageway for instance, even if you're turning right at the roundabout (2 miles ahead), it is still necessary for you to move out of the way for other road users. You can move back over in due course for your right turn. On motorways people are still (despite new laws) hogging the central lane and even the "fast" lane a lot of the time. I should not have to touch your bumper or flash you for you to move over. I would suggest these people go back to lessons and get a bit more knowledge before rejoining the highways and byways that we all have to use on a daily basis.

Rant over :D

Listen Old git, me & HDi fun both qucik cars & use the loud pedal for overtaking people who insist they have the god given right to drive at 30 in a 60 limit zone, now upset's & frustrates me no end , so i find a gap & stab the loud pedal, 2 seconds & their behind me, its a quirk known only to Buckinghamshire where we both live, drivers are so conservative here it hurts just knowing the same thing'll happen tommorow,, ah well, better start building my MX 5 V8,,,i'll keep to the speed limit, naturaly.!!

Id like to thank people for always using the correct grammar and spelling

seriously , regarding slow elderly drivers Im with OG on this because honestly they probably are not safe with slower reaction times etc so often they are driving that way because it is safe for them .
Ther is however a but and it is a very big but.........

What I cant stand is people that drive way under the speed limit but as soon as you overtake them speed up that 10 or 20mph to the speed you are driving .

Ah Turbonutter, how I've missed your combative nature. Allow me to retort.

First of all (and what I actually said) was that if you are 2 miles from a roundabout or some other such juncture then you are required to move over out of the "overtaking" lane. That's not a choice, that's a fact.

Secondly, I've looked at my own driving, it's good, I'm exceptionally observant, I tend to see things way before others seem to. I don't anchor on the brakes at the last minute, i give way at roundabouts rather than stopping, then looking, then starting again. The list goes on but some of us have a living to earn.

Allow me to point out that it is exceptionally rare for me to flash anyone and I (somewhat clearly i would have thought) never touch their actual bumpers, as this may lead to death of both parties as common sense and the laws of physics dictate. My point (if you're struggling to see it) is that people have no "right" to the overtaking lanes of the motorway (of which there are two). The law does dictate that you move over once your overtaking procedure is complete. This is a law/rule I adhere to as should others and this, this is my point. If you don't agree with it perhaps it's not my driving that needs evaluation my friend. I have been privy to watching a range rover hogging the outside overtaking lane, refusing to move out of said lane, being pulled by the unmarked police car behind it. It was most enjoyable.

Is this a new law then? Because alot of dual carriage way's i've been on tell you to get in lane at just about that distance.
Is it in the highway code?
And to be honest regardless of whether or not a driver is hogging any lane be it the middle or the outside flashing your lights at them and tailgaiting is just as illegal so who is in the wrong?
The lane hogger or the impatience driver behind?
If people want to break the law then let them. Why commit an offence yourself for it?

Ah Turbonutter, how I've missed your combative nature. Allow me to retort.

First of all (and what I actually said) was that if you are 2 miles from a roundabout or some other such juncture then you are required to move over out of the "overtaking" lane. That's not a choice, that's a fact.

I believe I already pointed out that I don't do that. I merely said that I "shouldn't have to do that" I did not say at any point that that was a practice that I employed as a driver because I don't.

Fair enough the dual carriageways that tell you to "get in lane" are obviously an exception to the rule.

I would say that it is within the highway code somewhere, though being at work I have not the time to be searching for it just to prove a point. It also is a "new law" that people misusing the middle lane of the motorway will now be stopped and given a £100 fine, so I would imagine they will be employing a similar tack when it comes to misusing any lane and causing other drivers to slow or causing an inconvenience to other drivers simply for not using the lane in the correct manner. It is in the highway code that you should complete your overtaking manoeuvre and then move back across to the correct lane, yes.

Using the analogy of not having to break the law oneself through impatience, I wonder, how patient would you be if there was someone in the outside lane doing 60mph causing a tailback, with there being no obstruction impeding them from entry into the middle lane for say, 5 miles? I bet I'd need a clicker to count the amount of cars that undertake due to impatience caused by the car that is unnecessarily using that lane.

Just to be happy, here it is from the horses mouth (so to speak, I didn't actually go out and hear it from a horse. I feel I may have to explain as you appear to be taking all I write literally)

5. Lane discipline (264 to 266)

You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking. You MUST NOT drive on the hard shoulder except in an emergency or if directed to do so by the police, HA traffic officers in uniform or by signs.

Laws MT(E&W)R regs 5, 9 & 16(1)(a), MT(S)R regs 4, 8 & 14(1)(a), and RTA 1988, sects 35 & 186, as amended by TMA 2004 sect 6

just to be thorough:

Dual carriageways

A dual carriageway is a road which has a central reservation to separate the carriageways.

On a two-lane dual carriageway you should stay in the left-hand lane. Use the right-hand lane for overtaking or turning right. After overtaking, move back to the left-hand lane when it is safe to do so.

While I suspect you could jump on the "or turning right" part of the paragraph I would assume that they would presume people would use common sense to dictate when to get into the right-hand lane to turn right, i.e. not at the start of the dual carriageway

I was actually referring to the approaching an island comment not the fact that you can be prosecuted for missuse of the middle lane.
I was referring to the fact that on approach to an island you are told to pick a lane. It doesn't anywhere state that you have to move over for someone impatient.
I totally agree alot of people need to learn how do use a motorway or dual carriage properly. But it's something that doesn't annoy me.