obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How would you rate your current driving skills on a scale of 1 to 5
  1. Cornering at the limit and general car control
  2. Handling the car in extreme conditions snow, ice, wind and rain
  3. Anticipation and being aware of what is going on ahead.
  4. Keeping to speed limits and other road signed regulations.
  5. Braking - ability to stop the car in the shortest possible distance.
And which skill to you rate as the most important and why?

Good one Obi, for me while trying to be honest, I think the following:

1. Cornering at the limit and general car control. Rating 5
  2. Handling the car in extreme conditions snow, ice, wind and rain. Rating 5
  3. Anticipation and being aware of what is going on ahead. Rating 4
  4. Keeping to speed limits and other road signed regulations. Rating 3
  5. Braking - ability to stop the car in the shortest possible distance. Rating 5
I suppose #3 (To me) is the most important but the skill could do with a tad more improvement on my part.

I cant, in honesty, rate myself 5 out of 5 for any of them as I know there are better driver's out there than me. Though after talking to idiots I have to deal with in job, I know I am vastly superior to majority of drivers on our roads! Though even that statement has to be taken with a pinch of salt as I only, by definition of my job, deal with people who have been in an accident and think it wasn't their fault.

1. Cornering at the limit and general car control - 3. I will add the car is capable of far more than I can give it.
  2. Handling the car in extreme conditions snow, ice, wind and rain - 3. Rated lower as I don't tend to drive in extreme conditions and if have to go out in weather like that (or it comes on whilst already out) I tend to slow down and drive a lot more carefully. So does make me a 4?
  3. Anticipation and being aware of what is going on ahead - 4.5. Again due to my job I have become very aware of what other drivers are doing. I tend to give a running commentary whilst driving and my passengers are always amazed when I say things like, "That black merc is about to pull out in front of me, so I'll just get out of his way now..." and the black merc does exactly that :)
  4. Keeping to speed limits and other road signed regulations - 4. I am fully aware I have gone over the limits, but I try to stick to them as much as possible.
  5. Braking - ability to stop the car in the shortest possible distance - 4.5. See point 3 about awareness and part of that is braking early and quickly, if need be.
Point 3 is by far the most important. Being aware of what other road users are doing is crucial to avoiding idiots on the road.

I would suggest this straw survey might be slightly biased, though, as this forum is full of petrolheads and we tend to make better drivers as we appreciate our cars more and, more importantly, what are cars are capable of :)

I have been fortunate enough to have taken a number of high performance driving courses LM, none of these guarantee you immunity from the inevitable. They do at least give you the confidence to assess most driving scenarios with a more positive understanding.

In all honesty we all would have exceeded the posted speed limit intentionally or inadvertently at some time me included :oops:
I try to be 100% aware of what's happening all around me and reading the traffic flow and have developed a 6th sense that has saved me a few dings when another "driver" fails to check their mirrors and decides to change lanes with or without indicating or doing a shoulder check :mad:

I my defensive driving training days i have always asked participants how they rated their skill levels and very few if any said lower than 5 out of 10

FWIW I gave myself a 7 :)

I should really post up my replies....
  1. Cornering at the limit and general car control -3 the more I know the more I know i don't know about car control.
  2. Handling the car in extreme conditions snow, ice, wind and rain - 4 I am pretty cautious and have never lost control in poor conditions.
  3. Anticipation and being aware of what is going on ahead. -5 I worked hard at developing this skill and can virtually predict the actions of others.
  4. Keeping to speed limits and other road signed regulations. - 4 I am good but nowhere near perfect. My wife hits a 5 on this and can hold the car at a steady 70 for 2 straight hours.
  5. Braking - ability to stop the car in the shortest possible distance. - 3 not really practiced this skill set. I stamp on the ABS and let it cut in but I usually don't brake that hard at first.

I am learning all the time Rad, just because one is older/mature it is never too late to learn something new in the art of driving skills |B

Os IMO it's not only learning new things but also maintaining the levels of driving skills one has already.

I realize that my youthful razor sharp reflexes are long gone so at the track I almost certainly brake a little earlier and corner slower than when in my prime but still enjoy doing it hopefully for a few more years to come, God and my wife willing :oops: I might have last bit that back 2 front:)

How would you rate your current driving skills on a scale of 1 to 5
  1. Cornering at the limit and general car control 4
  2. Handling the car in extreme conditions snow, ice, wind and rain 3
  3. Anticipation and being aware of what is going on ahead 5
  4. Keeping to speed limits and other road signed regulations 2
  5. Braking - ability to stop the car in the shortest possible distance 2
And which skill to you rate as the most important and why?

I think anticipation is the most important skill, all the others are only needed when anticipation has failed.

For me situational awareness , reading traffic flow, types of road surfaces, closely followed by anticipation as well as hopefully not overestimating my ability behind the wheel has IMO has helped me reach a ripe old age which is a milestone denied to so many.

I agree that anticipation and being aware of the situation ahead are vital. As a 75 year old driver, I find driving, especially on the motorway, incredibly tiring due to the constant concentration, watching 3 mirrors and trying to predict what others will do. Those who say motorway driving is boring can't be on the ball. If there is a passenger with me, I will not hold a conversation.

More about anticipation...
In 1989/90 I was driving regularly from Leicestershire to Ramsgate, usually starting at 0900 on Monday morning.
A challenge; how far was it possible to drive from J22 on the M1 and on to the M25 without applying brakes and at motorway speed? On one occasion, I achieved the maximum - not applying the brakes until the Dartford Crossing. I kid you not; absolutely true. Probably wouldn't get to Watford Gap these days.

1. Cornering at the limit and general car control -5
  2. Handling the car in extreme conditions snow, ice, wind and rain - 4
  3. Anticipation and being aware of what is going on ahead. -4
  4. Keeping to speed limits and other road signed regulations. - 3
  5. Braking - ability to stop the car in the shortest possible distance. - 5