How would you improve the road networks

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Assuming you had total power to keep our roads and transport system running.

What would you do to improve our road networks and speed up the flow of traffic?

I would drop traffic lights and provide more roundabouts, I spend too long waiting for invisible cars to go through their green light stuck on red. I'm sure they set lights to slow up the traffic rather than keep it flowing.

Should traffic lights be banned? :confused:

Mythbusters did prove that roundabouts are better at keeping the traffic flowing. But from my, albeit slightly selfish, point of view working in car insurance - I hate roundabouts. Any collision on roundabouts, without witnesses (get your dash cams, folks, they make great witnesses;) ) they nearly always end up with everyone taking the blame which does nobody any good.

(Funny story - many years ago there was a shopping centre near where I live. The junction to enter it was a roundabout. The centre had a massive regeneration, including the surrounding roads. This particular junction was torn up and a traffic light system installed.
Less than one year later that was torn up and replaced with a roundabout - that is controlled by traffic lights....)

I travel a lot and I do find roads that are smooth promote faster travel as people aren't slowing for holes and bumps.