How would you define a supercar?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
We've done muscle cars and got some really interesting comments on what you think a muscle car is/should be?

What about Supercars? Are they Italian Mid engined 2 seater sports cars? What about the Aston Martins do they count as supercars with front mounted engines and 4 seats? I think this one will be hard to define so I'm all ears open for your suggestions and comments.

big engine or silly power outputs from smaller engines. High prices must be £150k plus.

and the obvious if a woman can get out of it with a short skirt ( or a man in a kilt ) without giving a show then its just not a supercar

Going to be controversial here; is an Aston Martin a supercar? Maybe the Vanquish, but the DB9's certainly a GT car. But then are GT cars supercars :confused:

A supercar should also be exclusive, i.e. you cant buy a family hatchback from the same manufacturer so for me the Nissan GTR is out, as is the GT40. What I mean is a supercar manufacturer should only have a passion for these cars, these cars have "soul" that no japanese or american manufacturer can create. This ones hard to define:rolleyes:!

My Rover was unreliable - perhaps I unknowingly was harbouring a super car;) The new Lambos are pretty reliable?

I would say that GT (Grand Tourers) are a different class, do not many of these have 4 seats?

The point stevieDB9 makes is interesting about exclusivity. Is the Pagani Zonda and Ariel atom classed as supercars? (Ariel don't make cars for anyone else! :lol:) What about Porsche with their family hatch the Cayenne:lol:?

If were talking exclusivety then ferrari are out (Fiat parent company) Lambourghini (Used to make tractors and now owned by Audi soz wayne ;)) so makers like Noble and Ascari are the true supercars?????

I think we should ignore the parent company issue then it just rules out too much. All Audis are SUPERCARS anyway :)

supercars have to have over the top features like big airvents and such(not necessalry exhausts), also stupidly fast

yeah, ignore parent companies, otherwise the only "true" supercars would be those built by blokes with beards in the garden shed!:)

pagani zonda defo a supercar, maybe even a hypercar:lol: whoops just threw a spanner in the works

how would you define the bugatti veyron? its as luxurious as a GT car, faster than a hypercar, and more pretentious than Paris Hilton.

Do you define it in terms of NASA space rockets???

I know:) lets forgot about that, is the veyron in a class of its own? if so, how to define it?

I've put the Veyron in a class with the Maclaren F1. Both were made at a loss as an engineering exercise and went like the brown stuff off a shovel.

Dave

A real supercar would be one that out outperforms all the other so called "supercars" presently on sale, It could be a "one off" or even electric powered, the main criteria is that it should outperform every other car on the road, look better than the run of the mill Ferraris, Lambos, etc, and also deliver this performance consistently,comfortably and reliably-entirely my opinion-