How to use a Satnav

crowley

Torque Junkie
Car
MyBotchedHeap
How to use a Satnav; Rule 1: Make sure it is positioned correctly, for best results it should be mounted directly in front of your face above the binnacle or if you prefer, on it. The Satnav must have priority in your field of vision at all times.

Rule 2: Never try to second guess your Satnav, it is a very suffocated bit of kit & can make calculated decisions in a fraction of the time you can. So when it says "merge left" just do it! If you think you see a car to your left your probably mistaken.

Rule 3: If your Satnav says "turn right" but you don't see a road on your right you should obey it anyway, its probably new construction that you simply aren't aware of yet.

Rule 4: If when passing a flood sign your Satnav says "drive strait on" you should obey it. If you think you have a sensation of cold water in the foot-well, you should see a doctor as you probably have poor circulation.

Rule 5: If when driving across a bridge your Satnav says "turn left" you should obey. If all you see is a barrier & the ocean, you should probably see an optician.

Rule 6: If you stop for a lollipop lady with a stop sign but your Satnav says "drive strait on" you should of course drive strait on. If the above results in you going to court you should of course consult your Satnav for legal advice.

^^^:rolleyes: :eek: :rofl:
You wound be surprised just how many drivers?? who mount them as per your #1rule \B\B

IMO the correct position is as low as possible in the bottom right hand corner of the screen so as to minimize any restriction to forward vision.

Loads of people mount them in daft places and yes I have seen them directly in the driver straight ahead line of sight. To the point they have to peer either side of it in order to look along the road!!!!

I actually prefer mine low as possible in the middle of the screen. It merely impedes my view of the passenger side wiper blade and far corner of the bonnet lid. Neither is a great hardship.

I've tried right hand side low down, doesn't appeal to me, in this particular car.

Another point of note here, make sure that the 12v power cable isn't draped across any airbag housings!!

Frank I used to position my SN where you have your and it was OK there due to the top mount intercooler vent being the same height as the SN and not in my line of sight and "not impeding forward vision" as per our transport dept rules but re-positioned it as it was more convenient when programming a new location.

Poorly positioned SN's can create a large blind spot in some situations and am sure that you will have mounted it in the safest position for you.

PS love the use of the word "daft" as it is a bit softer than "stupid" :)

New idea; SN's should come with remote control's like stereo's, wearing a harness I can't reach it.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back