How to make your own bio diesel

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I found a method online if anyone wanted to make their own bio diesel...

http://www.makebiofuel.co.uk/make-biodiesel-at-home

Veg Oil, Lye or Caustic Soda & Methanol are the main ingredients. Do you think it's more trouble than it's worth? If you could save £600 per year would it be worth the hassle to you?

Does anyone know why you can't just put vegetable oil in your tank or does it depend on the type of engine? I'm guessing the engine needs cleaners, anti caking agents, and rubber seal protections in the diesel. But would you get away with a diluted mix of 10 litres veg oil to 40 litres of regular pump diesel? Do you think it would separate out in the tank?

It's not worth the hassle in my opinion and I am still not convinced about biodoesel and PD injectors due to the outrageous fuel pressures (even higher than common rail).

I did try neat veg oil in the old 1.9D Seat Ibiza. This was the oil IDI engine. Results were good at 50:50 with pump fuel.

I got too brave. Got up to 85% vegetable oil, and bear in mind this was early January 2005. The viscosity of the oil caused the rotary injection pump to fail. £350 for a rebuild !

I Don't think it's worth it just to save a few quid! In the long run it doesn't seem to be much of a saving.