How to lower the engines compression ratio

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Reducing the compression ratio is required if you want to run a high boost supercharged engine. High compression NASP engines are quite efficient but when adding forced induction you want to lower the compression ratio. The compression ratio has a dramatic effect on an engines performance and the problem of knock, (where the air fuel mix prematurely ignites) is controlled to a large degree by the compression ratio.

Continue reading... or post your comments below on this article.

To low CR in a turbo car makes it sluggish off boost but can cope with higher boost levels.
My car has 8.7-1 static CR and if's fine off boost.
IMO it comes down to tune/mapping with any turboed car AND the quality of fuel used regardless of CR

What is "high " boost I have 20 psi and the Yanks call that low as they seem to use 25-40 lbs in DD cars ?

Thicker head gasket is the first thing that comes to mind. Polishing the cumbustion chambers also will remove a small amount of metal and enlarge them. You can recess the valves a bit also. Stuff like that can move the compression around up to a point (ratio point).

The best way is to get proper low compression pistons and having a low squish/quench area by keeping the piston to head clearance no more than 1mm, helps to reduce detonation. Also making sure that any sharp edges are reduced in head and pistons.