How to fix cigarette burns in car upholstery.

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Looking at a car today which is all good except for a couple of cigarette burns in the car upholstery on the front passenger seat.

How do you fix this or does it mean replacing with a new seat?

You can take a patch from the back of the rear bench seats and stitch this into the hole and just darn the new hole you've made which is generally out of view. If the seats fold forward it gets even easier to find a suitable site for the donor part.

Fabric iron on hem works well to the rear although you should edge the patch to stop it fraying.

Leather repairs take more work but there are some tips on here I read http://www.torquecars.com/articles/car-care/how-to-repair-leather-car-seats.php

You can sometimes just darn the hole together and it will be barely noticeable. It depends on the fabric though, anything with a pile or knap is quite forgiving but you might end up with a crease or pleat.

Recovering the seats entirely is another option, it costs more but you get an as new finish.

I have a chap who does repairs to the leather upholstery and is an absolute marvel. Cigarette burns, tears or just general wear & tear are no match for him, it's amazing to watch the procedures.