How to fix a leaky car radiator

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
A car radiator has a very small leak. I can't quite see it though as it is quite deep inside the elements.

How can you fix a leaky car radiator without replacing it? It generally seems quite good condition and I'd hate to have to buy a new one.

Someone suggested putting an egg in the water but I'm sure that will just clog everything up and probably smell really bad further down the line.

Radweld is pretty good, you pour it in and it blocks the holes by reacting with the air and solidifying. It doesn't clog things up and people have been using it for years.

You could always remove the rad, expose the leaky area, put a spot of solder over it and refit it but that would just take ages.

I've heard about the egg trick, but please don't try it. As a get you home emergency fix it works - JUST.

The egg trick is one I have used years ago in one of my old Rover cars if memory serves, it did work though. With the ever more sophisticated engine components being used now, I would not chance it. In an emergency it would be Radweld but if you have time on your hands then get it repaired, there are many places out there that offer this service. Bottom line would be to buy a new radiator, I bought one year before last and I was quite surprised at how little it actually cost.