How to cut congestion.

wizzer

Road Burner
Car
VW Golf 2.0 TDi
I think that rather than building new roads and using traffic calming things should just be left. Eventually peopel will get fed up with traffic jams and they will reduce their car useage.

I think the yanks have the right idea. Freeways that have 6 lanes in either direction and roads through their towns and cities as wide as our major by passes. We have always used the narrowest roads we possibly could, probably to cut costs of construction, and now WE are having to pay because they are too busy. Just build bigger, wider roas with more lanes to cope with the high flow of traffic.

i liked James May's idea on this one when top gear was on about congestion in the last serise, if the amount of free flowing space is reduced, the speed is increased in the same respect, so if the space is halfed the speed doubles, like putting ya thumb over the end of a hose pipe :lol: :lol:

Turn all traffic lights into roundabouts and you'll cut most in town congestion. Stop narrowing the exits of roads to 1 lane and the people turning left can do so while those that insist on a right turn can all wait in line for a space. (It's always quicker to do a left and then U turn than wait for a gap and turn right :wink: )

I think we should be limited to number of cars we own according to wether we have a parking space for them at home. On street parking is frankly a joke in my area and all the streets near the town are pay parking and usually are completely empty!