How much oil does your car use

Is the car still on its factory first fill?
You say that. I knew a guy who never changed his oil because in a year he topped it up with 5 litres and as this was the capacity he assumed it was the same as doing an oil change.

Needless to say it was really gunky in there and I'm amazed the engine went on as long as it did. I've never seen such thick sludge in my life, in places it had become almost solid.

An engine oil flush was no good, the engine had to be stripped down and cleaned manually!

Bloody hell, I thought modern engines were beyond this sort of thing. I reckon the only cure really in the long run is more frequent oil changes.

He hadn't changed the oil for a good few years (probably about 5)! On re-reading my post I may have implied it was just one year.

He hadn't changed the oil for a good few years (probably about 5)! On re-reading my post I may have implied it was just one year.

As the man clearly does not care about his car, maybe he should save even more money on the oil change the next time by using Mazola Cooking Oil ;)

He's lucky that the filter didn't collapse and plug the whole engine. Fully synthetic oils will stand much more abuse than minerals or blended oils but you should really stick to the recommended intervals. If your car has a service indicator then rely upon it by all means. But DO use an approved oil and DO get it changed when the service indicator suggests you should do so.

My skoda work horse (04 octavia 1.9Tdi) which I clocked 94k yesterday
I have added 1ltr myself that was when she was new over 10-15k the rest were on service every 21-22k miles well impressed as the car was my first diesel and probably the last due to improvements in petrol engined cars as well!

My A4 Quattro is a real oil drinker. I've used 5.5 litres in the last 5 months! This is pretty crazy but considered normal by Audi for the 2.0 TFSI engine! At £45 a bottle even oil consumption for me is getting expensive!

The stagea has always used quite a bit ever since it was rebuilt .Maybe it is because tuned RBs run very hot or the very powerful oil pump (because of the rev limit) has something to do with it - dont know if that makes a difference.

It still has spot on compression as I do test it when i have nothing better to do.

How tuned is it and what oil are you using? Normally they are okay for oil consumption unless forged.

Cheers

Tim

Hi tim
We have actually had detailed discussions about which oil i should use.

It is a fully forged tomei RB26 engine and has been dynod just over 500 at the hubs.
I have spoken to you about which oil and changed from silkolene r to s on your advice and it stopped smoking on tickover.

These days cars come with extended service times, i.e 1 year or 18k miles. Does it really do any bad by following this as the car gets older?

My new 2.0 TDi sips oil at a rate of 1 litre every 14 months! That is pretty good compared to my last car, a 2.0 TFSi which needed a litre each month!

94 1.9tdi Octavia between services 1/2 ltr first 6k since then nothing between services 111000k now bless her!
Mx5 1.8 sport nothing between services both get caned here and there........Well difficult to cane the mx!
But as I'm looking for another diesel next year not impressed with all this oil consumption problems on new diesels