How many time a year do you go on the track

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Just wondering how many times a year you get to take your car on the track?

For me it's pretty much a fraction, I hardly ever have the time or money to do a track day! Plus the car is our one family car and if I killed it or damaged it in any way we would be majorly inconvenienced. Perhaps next year will be different! I'll suddenly find some time and money - is there a time and money tree I can grow?

I have done 4 closed road sprint events for the last 10 or so years and a couple of track days each year as well as am not interested in the horses,golf,bingo, croquet,bowls etc so one has to have an interest and as my good lady would say at times she wishes that it was anything but cars

Eddie is a a sensible young man and I would recommend that he also goes to another track that is longer than a 1/4 mile long that has only 1 slow left hand corner in it for even more thrills :)

ahah and that sounds like a splendid idea ^^ Will have to take a look at one of those, would certainly be nicer than following a straight line sucking up everyone elses exhaust fumes and dust

Eddie you may well be sucking fumes and dust BUT you will learn way more about your car and car control and get more track miles and wear on the front tyres instead of the rears only on the 1/4 mile track |B:)

Only once so far this year, been very busy work wise unfortunately. I hope to double this next year at least.

The total cost of them now limits me somewhat. Not done one for so long as the ZS is off the road being modified still! My plans never seem to pan out, life gets in the way.

Personally I worry about the wear and tear on the car - which is our only means of transport at the moment!

Totally agree there, when it is your only means of transport you have to be sensible. Everyone is different and when the red mist descends all thoughts of getting home go out of the window! I still drive my MG to and from the track and know the consequences if I run out of talent ;)

I'm with you there,

but I've been a bad boy :/ Insurance called up telling me if I don't improve and stop driving doing reckless maneuveres no matter the environemnt [I called telling them it wasa track in a safe and managed location] they would close me, so, no more fun for a couple of years :/

Oh god I wish, dream of having something like am MX-5 drifting around corners n all, or an RX8 slamming down the acceleration =D But insurance, they are devils trapped on Earth...

A friend of mine got together with 3 others and bought a mid 90's GTR between them, exclusive for track use. They each chipped in for buying it and owned 25% each. They pooled their resources for getting it track ready and decided that those that drive it most will chip in more. iirc they had that car going for about 5 years before 3 of them realised they had lost interest and the 4th bought them out.

Might be something for you to consider.

Oh wow, I've been considering that for a house but never looked at cars the same way, that's actually such a good idea when I next see my buds I'll offer that, cheers mate :)

A friend of mine did the same, three bought a car to do track days. Their first trip was to the Nurburgring, my friend couldn't make it so the other two went. The car was written off a few corners in, held together with tank tape and limped home, lesson learnt.

Over here we don't get snow and ice anywhere near any track so we have them can enter track days 24/7:)

Twice a year I get to go on track but I stick to the warm dry sunny weather. I'd like to do more but just can't spare the time or money. Every track day has meant I've had to buy something new like tyres or brake pads and last time I managed to wreck a clutch! So for me the cost is quite a lot.

@Eddie208 I had a 1.2 Nova and it was great fun to drive on the edge. Suspension mods really help cornering and its amazing how much fun you can have with a small engine. Give it a try you might be surprised.

I do love driving round corners and bends at a "High speed" for what my car can do but was never sure for a track day, guess I will have to give it a try now :) Fun & legal I suppose, better than doing silly things out on the streets, not that I've tried yet ^^

Are the fires affecting you out there @TCJBOLDIE

Fortunately they are far far away and no danger unless some fool starts one. There are reports of over 1000 homes destroyed and the fires are still raging and small towns evacuated.

What is making matters worse is the windy conditions that blows hot embers far and wide starting fresh fired behind the struggling firefighters plus the fires being so fierce that they are creating their own weather and in 1 case a mini tornado strong enough to overturn a fire truck and kill 1 of the crew.Another 2 were killed when a tree fell on them in another area.

Our native eucalyptus trees are produce oil that causes fumes to be emitted by nearby heat and the result is similar to throwing a match into petrol and the flames leap hundreds of feet into the air.

Some of the fires may have started by lightening strikes but there are reports of others started by firebugs or arsonists.

The usual suspects are blaming "climate change" and "global warming" BUT IMO a major contributor is the undeniable fact that the GREENIES have managed to have huge areas of forest locked up and controlled backburning that reduces the dry leaf matter fuel in the forrest stopped resulting in the build up of fuel on the ground that had resulted in more intense fires. You can't start a living tree burning with a match but drop it into the dry leaves near it and up it will go.

It is a national disaster with literally 100's of fires over the country still burning with no end in sight.

Last edited:
Wow - that looks pretty bad out there. I hear the fire generate their own lightning within those fire storms, which causes nearby strikes and further spreads the fires.

Without all those trees and the additional carbon from the burning it's likely to escalate the problem globally.

I admire and praise those brave firefighers who put their lives on the line to save others.

Lucky to get one track day per year in. Every time I go something serious breaks and I need the rest of the year to fix it. Perhaps I should get myself a reliable mechanic rather than try and do everything myself.

Wow - that looks pretty bad out there. I hear the fire generate their own lightning within those fire storms, which causes nearby strikes and further spreads the fires.

Without all those trees and the additional carbon from the burning it's likely to escalate the problem globally.

I admire and praise those brave firefighers who put their lives on the line to save others.

Just had a report that the police are looking for a suspected arsonist in Tasmania.
The military have been called in with the navy evacuating people trapped in a small town.
The eucliptus trees emit fumes that ignite when they get hot and that is what makes the fire more fierce.
The area burnt is many many times the area damaged by fire in the Amazon.